Old 03-28-2014   #11

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have purchased straps from a lot of sources over the years. NRS being the primary place.

For the last few years I have been using strapworks.com they will make them out of what ever color, fabric and buckle setup you can dream up.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #12

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside Inflatables View Post
we're even debating whether or not to add the "2ft" "3ft" to each size, because it's a new minimum each change.
Ours are just a company name and phone number. The lengths are stamped on the buckle.

Old 03-28-2014   #13

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I like the idea of the size on the strap. That's one thing I'm missing with my new strapworks straps. I put the size on the buckles with a sharpie, but that won't last long. Thank goodness with my new raft I need way less straps that I did with my cat.
Old 04-03-2014   #14

denver, Colorado
I hate not having the length on the actual straps. I won't buy straps without it.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #15

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I hate not having the length on the actual straps. I won't buy straps without it.
Thanks!

We're planning on doing it for future straps. It will also be stamped on the buckle.

How do you like the quality of straps that are out there?
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #16

denver, Colorado
The NRS ones have been good so far. The others, seem to get crusty and hard, and frankly, the buckles and springs seem to go about the same time the straps do.

If I was buying a new boat, I would pay extra for better straps, assuming they also had better buckles that would last longer. The difference in price isn't different enough for me not to add onto a new boat.

I also think the orange would be a good way to go. It would make them stick out, get mixed up with others less, and would be a little different.

Only boats they really wouldn't match well with would be red boats. Most are grey or blue anyhow it seems...especially the owners you would be after.

Offering thicker straps for the frame to raft connection would be a must as well, and looped end straps for coolers and dry boxes.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #17

Kernville, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
The NRS ones have been good so far. The others, seem to get crusty and hard, and frankly, the buckles and springs seem to go about the same time the straps do.

If I was buying a new boat, I would pay extra for better straps, assuming they also had better buckles that would last longer. The difference in price isn't different enough for me not to add onto a new boat.

I also think the orange would be a good way to go. It would make them stick out, get mixed up with others less, and would be a little different.

Only boats they really wouldn't match well with would be red boats. Most are grey or blue anyhow it seems...especially the owners you would be after.

Offering thicker straps for the frame to raft connection would be a must as well, and looped end straps for coolers and dry boxes.
Great feedback, thank you.
Old 04-04-2014   #18

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I had to do some research to verify what I had. I can tell the difference between the blue numbered NRS straps and the NRS color coded ones in how they stretch and fray. I definitely like the blue ones better, I just always thought they were nylon. I like the sound of polyester for a bit more coin if it is better, but the tight blue NRS polypro does do the trick.

Orange straps sound awesome! White lettering might look very nice. Having the length woven into material is essential. I also will not buy straps without this feature. I also don't really like a bunch of multicolored straps. A stamp on the buckle is far too hard to see. In my crew we all spray paint our buckles a different color; it lasts a few seasons at least and works for us.

I've never had an NRS buckle wear out. The webbing breaks first. Fraying ends are a problem with NRS colored straps, but not really the blue ones. Whatever material you chose, make sure to get the end melting worked out well as that is really hard to do well at home.

Let us know when they're for sale--if they're orange!
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #19
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
So the one thing that jakebrown just alluded to is a big issue. If you have a problem with the tapered feed end of a polypro strap that goes into the cam buckle you can fix it with a razor knife and a lighter in the field in about a minute. If you have the same issue on polyester its a bitch.

I just ordered some custom straps from strapworks and had my wife's name and number and a cool pattern put on. She loved them. It looks like they hot wire melted the end and at least half the straps we received aren't usable until I remelt them. I have sewn my own polyester straps for all the major frame straps on my boat (I have four dry boxes and the table). I thought I did a really nice job melting the ends and had a really hard time on the first trip as about frayed and became almost unusable during the trip. I have become better at creating the end but this has still been a source of frustration.
I have also tried the 1.5 inch polypro for all frame straps but the buckles are so large, heavy and unwieldy that I am phasing those out as I get the polyester thing figured out.
So in theory I love the idea of getting three times the breaking strength on major attachment points but the it has been a rocky road for me.

When switching to polyester a high water Marsh Creek/Middle Fork was in the works and this video was my inspiration

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #20

Kernville, California
Thank you guys for the feedback! Ironed tip is a must, length on strap a must, and strong 1" straps (seems polyester preferred), especially for the shorter lengths. Got it.