Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Mountain Buzz Community > Partner's Forum

Old 03-27-2013   #21

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Whats with all the negative armchair quarterbacking when people post up opportunities someone might be interested in?

Every time someone posts up a job, a spot on a grand trip, or a permit cancelation, some chump just has to chime in to lob a flaming bag of shit into the discussion.

Just because you can't fathom who would want this job, doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there who would eat this up. Maybe somebody wants to work all summer to save up for a winter in Chile? One man's trash is another man's treasure, and in a depressed job market I think its great that Nick has employment opportunities.

If you want the job / permit / etc, then act on it. If you don't want it, resist the urge to blab some useless negative crap that does nothing but promote negativity.

Someone could post up a solution to world hunger, and in 30 seconds some mountainbuzz asshole would be complaining about the menu. For fucks sake people, get a grip.

P.S. Good luck with the biz Nick.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #22
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Whats with all the negative armchair quarterbacking when people post up opportunities someone might be interested in?

Every time someone posts up a job, a spot on a grand trip, or a permit cancelation, some chump just has to chime in to lob a flaming bag of shit into the discussion.

Just because you can't fathom who would want this job, doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there who would eat this up. Maybe somebody wants to work all summer to save up for a winter in Chile? One man's trash is another man's treasure, and in a depressed job market I think its great that Nick has employment opportunities.

If you want the job / permit / etc, then act on it. If you don't want it, resist the urge to blab some useless negative crap that does nothing but promote negativity.

Someone could post up a solution to world hunger, and in 30 seconds some mountainbuzz asshole would be complaining about the menu. For fucks sake people, get a grip.

P.S. Good luck with the biz Nick.
I agree with everything you said but disagree because:

1. Every flame bumps the ad.
2. Some of it is entertaining in it's own right.

Old 03-27-2013   #23

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
i can see someone wanting to guide 5-6 days a week, but sit in the office and do all the crappy work? Financial report EVERY day? Get real, you better pay really well for someone not even get weekend (even if midweek) playtime. Anyone will a brain should see this will likely be 6-7 days a week, then 7. Someone with those skills probably won't stay with you for the summer. They'll take your job just to get to CO then jump ship as soon as they can.
I was always surprised at who would want to be an office person or even a shuttle driver for a commercial companies. Over the years I found that they tend to be folks who really would prefer to guide, but because of physical characteristics are challenged in feeling comfortable as a guide, but they still want to be a part of the rafting atmosphere.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #24

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Who on earth decided that being a raft guide is the world's most desirable job? Let's think about some of the benefits that an office job could possibly have over guiding:

1) better pay
2) Live in a place with showers, not dirty etc
3) don't have to hang out with other raft guides 24/7
4) Don't spend every day all summer running the same boring, low water class II with fatso texans while getting skin cancer....
5) You don't have to spend all day, everyday, talking your customers (and yourself) into believing that the low water **insert run name here** is the best thing ever
6) Maybe your office job will get you health insurance to cover that skin cancer once you get it.
7) Office job might build work experience relevant to a career field later on in life

All that aside, I still think raft guiding can be a blast and worthwhile for a couple summers. It's just that, in the end, it does have some disadvantages and not everyone is looking for that experience.

Good luck, Nick!
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #25
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post

PS didn't boise state kick georgia but in 2011???
That is just way too funny!

Thats your game, set, match.......
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #26

Post Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
I think it has more to do personal perspective on life. If your looking for negativity then you will find negativity in everything. I didn't see this thread as negative at all. I see challenging opinions. This is a forum where opinions are challenged. If the OP didn't want anyone to provide feed back to the post then this post should be in the help wanted ads in CL or the paper.

Wasn't it Plato who said we achieve truth and justice through dialog.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #27
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
40 years ago I ran across the guy who took me on my first raft trip. One thing led to another, and I ran as a weekend warrior for him. The next year I told my full time boss to stuff it and ran full time. The third year I sold and guided trips. After that it was pretty much a full time year round job with 5 months pay. It took my future wife gently pointing out there were no retired guides living on a pension, and maybe since I wasn't getting any younger, I might want to think about a more stable employment environment.

The office manager for most of those years worked all week--40 plus hours keeping the place organized and operational, then guided any weekend she could.

The owners went with no salary most years, just taking guide pay when they actually ran trips. The hours in the office running things, planning, figuring it out, and just dealing with shit was pretty much unpaid, and it was year round.

Any job in this industry is a labor of love; you ain't gonna get rich, you'll work your ass off, and probably do serious harm to your liver. Oh, and meet a bunch of characters you'll never forget.

First year guides were little more than slaves; they worked their asses off, got paid shit, and got little recognition. They had to stick it out at least 2 years to get any kind of reasonable treatment and pay. Very few that made it through training the first year left. They tended to stick around until, like me, they decided it was time to grow up and get responsible.

You'll find your manager. Not among this bunch of spoiled, entitled, gimmee mine, Armchair quarterbacking, bleeding heart, "river lovers", but you'll find your manager. And maybe a new friend in the process.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #28
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I'm with Speigel.
I managed a Ski/Rafting Photo operation for years and had a great time working 6 days a week during the season. My summer days consisted of: Open the shop at 8. Cover until the lab tech came in at 11. Split for "lunch" at 12. Go down to the river and throw ends until 2. Back to the lab to get the film out and help cover the booth until about 5-6. Down to the bars for happy hour. Maybe stop back into the shop to Z out the register at 9 depending on who was closing.
Never once had to pull a fat pasty tourist back into a boat.
And I made 24K my last year doing it in 1996. That's exactly how much I made as a first year teacher.
Old 03-27-2013   #29

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If the guy is going to stick his neck into the buzz, then he'll get the good with the bad. At the very least maybe he comes out of it with a different idea to make it more workable, more possible for success. Saying you think an idea is stupid isn't negative, it's honest feedback. Or I guess the rest of you kumbaya singers think that no one should disagree? Good grief! THAT's negativity IMO!
Old 03-28-2013   #30

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but some of you are certainly being too negative.

My girl is a middle school science teacher and a manager for a raft company office. She works lots of hours, but they are not unreasonable, and she enjoys the work. Not the most glorious, but she would rather deal with money, phones and check-in's than guide.... she's been with them for 7-8 season's now and makes pretty good money. Better than she would at any other seasonal summer work in Buena Vista.

Good luck Nick.