Old 01-22-2014   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Countdown to Bailey Fest V!

Bailey Fest V
August 8-10, 2014

Let the countdown begin! The fifth annual Bailey Fest is on the calendar!
  • Planned release when most of the state is dry.
  • Primo private riverside camping / fest grounds
  • Supermax Showdown... the gnarliest foamie creek race out there
  • Bailey Fest Bootie Beer Battle
  • Saturday Takeout party
  • Free flowing beer courtesy of Oskar Blues
  • Outdoor movies on our state of the art tarp-a-tron 3000 projection system
  • Live Band / Saturday Night Camp Party
  • Hog Heaven BBQ
  • Four Falls is public property
  • Did I mention the party?
When I first dreamed up Bailey Fest I set myself a goal to figure out how to get it done in the next 5 years. Well here we are at Bailey Fest V, and I am proud to say that Bailey Fest has surpassed my wildest expectations.

We started in 2010 with an impromtu small party around the first planned release on the North Fork of the South Platte River. Over the years we have added the campground, sponsors, the supermax showdown, the outdoor movies, bootie beer battles, land ownership victories, and most importantly a great turnout from paddling friends far and wide.

One of the keys to making Bailey Fest work is that it is OUR event. For paddlers, by paddlers. Bailey Fest gets done because of the help and volunteering from a host of folks through the year and at the event. I'm counting on your support again this year.

Looking forward to seeing you all at Bailey Fest V!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #2

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Yo Buddy,

Let's get Denver to turn on the tunnel now!

Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Ha, just wanted to be on the first page of this thread since I missed it last year! Sure seems like a LONG time away ...
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #4

As a participant at Bailey Fest I, II, and IV I can confirm that Bailey Fest is awesome and getting better every year.

Next step Bailey Fest spring edition - I could really go for a February/March North Fork release right about now.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #5

Denver, Colorado
Hard to get a winter release from Denver Water. They tend to want to keep the tunnel constant at a very low rate or off. They have told me that they have issues with ice dams if they change flows. Also there would be relatively low paddler demand.

I did ask DW for the possibility of an early may release. That would be primo in my book... before runoff starts in earnest, but out of the ice season, boaters chomping at the bit to get on the water, so high demand, and potentially more feasible from DW's side.

I got the Aug release based on a statistical analysis of when Denver Water has the highest chance of needing to deliver water anyway. Remember that DW will never release water and just let it run down the river. They have to use it or catch it and not waste it. The major catch is getting DW on board for a flow change the disrupts their operations. I think chances are very slim that I can get more than what we already have, but it never hurts to ask, so I have asked for it.
Old 01-24-2014   #6
addict

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ian, the more I learn about the operations of DW, the more I realize how valuable your personal contacts within the Source of Supply are. I have been working at the plant that treats the water from the NFSP, after it goes through Strontia. In the future I hope I can help forge better relationships between paddlers and DW.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #7

Denver, Colorado
Hey Tango, agreed... the contacts with the DW folks are key. Its good to build more relationships with them and I'm glad you are getting plugged in.

Got word back from DW on a potential spring release. No go. This year DW's storage on the front range is really full thanks to the flooding precip last year. DW will use that water and natural runoff to supply demand prior to bring over water from dillon. DW does not expect to need tunnel water until perhaps June.

DW will not just turn on the tunnel at any time of year for us. The BFest deal was worked out because I proposed a time that they statistically needed to deliver enough water between the north fork and main stem to support a release, and demonstrated that they could plan a release on the north fork to deliver water under that total statistical requirement.

In most other parts of the year, they don't need that much water, so asking them to flow more than they need typically won't fly. I'll keep my eyes open for future opportunities, but right now I'm pretty happy with the one release as I think thats a huge win for paddlers, and we have essentially zero leverage to get any more at this point.
Old 01-27-2014   #8

Indian Hills
Kayak Session

Really glad that photo made it into Kayak Session mag. That may be my first and only pic to make it into KS. My subscription started as a gift obtained at Baileyfest III. I have renewed the subscription ever since.
Old 01-30-2014   #9

Denver, Colorado
Changed the dates to August 8-10th, 2014. Landowner had a conflict with the weekend after due to a family gathering at the property, so we moved it up a weekend.

Shouldn't impact most folks, but this is the weekend of Outdoor Retailer trade show in SLC, so I know a couple folks won't be able to make it.

Glad you made it into KS mag Mike... an accomplishment for sure.
Old 01-30-2014   #10

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
That photo made it into KS? Did I get credit?

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey