Old 10-26-2011   #1

Petaluma, California
Avon Raft Sale

Hi Everyone:

We've got a handful of Avon rafts that we want to move out of the warehouse this Fall. Act fast--these are the lowest prices you'll see on Avon riverboats this year. Check it out:

Avon Inflatable Raft Sale

claveyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
That's a great sale!

Not to sound like a noob or anything, but what makes Avon such a great boat? I rowed Riken for a few years and then switched to Maravia. I like Maravia better than my old Riken, but that's a personal preference.

Everyone always says you want the best you go with Avon.... so looking at specs I don't see much difference between it and NRS in material or dimensions... so from the pros' mouths... what makes Avon the king?

Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
I work for an outfitter in Grand Canyon, we run 18 foot Avon Super Pros. Most of our boats are 1995's. These boats run about 10 trips per year each. The trips are usually 14 day. Thats 140 days of Canyon use per year. 140 days X 16 years equals 2240 river days. That calculates out to 6.1 years of on river use. They are starting to show some wear as can be expected. Next season will be 17 years of service, I'd say that must count for something in terms of quality. I bought my own Avon 16' in 2000 and couldn't be happier, no visible wear and tear on my boat at all after 11 years. Avon's ROCK! BTW I paid 5k for my boat in 2000 so the pricing on these boats is really good for a retail price.
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #4

Petaluma, California
There's a lot of choices in rafts out there, and I don't believe in bashing any of them. They all have pros and cons. Avon has been making inflatables longer than any of the other manufacturers, so if experience counts in making and designing boats, they've got it. They are made in Wales and being in the EU, the factory is subject to higher safety standards than your typical asian factory. The fabric Avon uses is made by Aerazur, which utilizes a full hypalon coating on the outside, with a polyester base. Other boats use a neoprene coating with hypalon on top. An all hypalon coating will wear longer. Avon also uses a polyurethane fabric on the floor to give the boats better wear and slide over rocks better. As far as specs, who knows who came up with them first, but in the case of the popular 15' Avon Expedition, which we designed, we saw other manufacturers follow with very similar models of their own. My personal boat is an Avon, it has served me well for 15 years with no problems. But what really matters is whatever gets you and you family out on the water is a good choice. This probably won't sell more boats, but I think it's more about the experience than the gear.
claveyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks Jeff, I was just curious. Not bashing anything at all.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #6
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I appreciate the "no bashing" reply. I've been rowing Avons since 1985 and love em.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #7

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I scored a Superpro a year or two ago from a wealthy man who had passed. He had a fleet of em. Got it fully loaded(frame,oars,table,dry box,pfd's,huge cooler,etc) for 2k,mint condish. I'll never get a better deal in my life(besides that truck I won in a raffle at age24) than that.

Dickwaving finished.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
I scored a Superpro a year or two ago from a wealthy man who had passed. He had a fleet of em. Got it fully loaded(frame,oars,table,dry box,pfd's,huge cooler,etc) for 2k,mint condish. I'll never get a better deal in my life(besides that truck I won in a raffle at age24) than that.

Dickwaving finished.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. So you hit the lottery. Prick.

Alex - I run a Maravia and I am very happy with it. My favorite paddle boat of all time to run big water in is an Adventurer. I have run lots of other paddle boats, but I really like the Avon. Specs don't tell the whole story. These boats are tough, easy to handle, not too heavy and the seat height for the guide in the back is just right. I didn't get a chance yet to run some of the newer generations of PVC boats. My buddy has taken his ( 14 foot adventurer down the Grand two or three times and it is the perfect size for him with one or two passengers for 7 or 8 day Middle Fork trips too.

Another buddy who has guided all over the world - literally - just bought a Pro ( 16 footer) last year. Not by accident or just a good deal did he pick that boat either.

Clavey seems to be a good company and these rafts are hard to beat.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011   #9

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Forgot to mention that its an 18' Superpro too

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote