Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012   #21

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Most know I sell hand paddles, and I am constantly ask what is the pro deal. This is often by Class III boaters at best that have never hand paddled. Pro deals, and deals in general are to help companies market their product, and with the right boater I would give a pro-deal. The problem is everyone thinks they are Evan Garcia, and thinks they should pay below wholesale on new gear. I think that is absurd. I am a strong supporter of local shops as long as they are polite. I have talked with 4Corners many times, and even purchased my Sweet Rocker Full Face from them. It was on sale, and I paid around $250 shipping, and everything. I would give them my business any day. I am sure if you have an issue they would try to help you with it. Instead people think they should by pass common decency, and post on here. You have no idea how much time goes into a shop. Think about the hours of sitting there with no business, the amount of power used, paying others to sit there when business is slow, and rent. A few $9 noseplugs do not pay the bills. I bet kayak manufactures can build a kayak for around $300 then they have a mark up, then shipping, and then the shop marks up. Why? Because you can't sell stuff for what you make or buy it for. As a manufacture of hand paddles I sell at retail price regardless. You can either pay retail through me or retail through a shop. People get mad at me for not giving them deals, but it is hard enough with over head to continue to stay in business. Plus I can't undercut my dealers, because they have to make money as well. Maybe you should take a business or an economics class.

Old 05-05-2012   #22

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
in 1990 the scuba diving industry was realizing a sudden decline in local scuba shops. This was attributed to online sales of discount dive gear and a surplus of old and aging inventories. Not only did this result in manufacturers themselves failing, but the remaining manufacturers virtually stopped R&D, reef rehabilitation funding, and their funding of emergency services. Cost of a tank fill in 1990 = $3

Today (over an 80% loss of registered dive shops in Florida since 1990) if you can even find a dive shop to rent/fill a tank it costs around $10-15, and unfortunately folks, GarbageMart and the internet don't fill tanks!

we are lucky to have 4Crns! Guilty as I am of shopping elsewhere, even online, they are always happy to entertain me asking for a price match...

Thank you guys! Nice work on the swap this year!

Old 05-17-2012   #23

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Dang...why are all y'all ripping on 4Corner?

I don't think the prices are bad at all. Next thing you river bums will want is free boats.

4-Corners has always treated my son and I MORE than fair.