Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2012   #11
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I can't speak for the owners but some of you guys act like a retail business is a charity of some sort for your own personal benefit, when it is often a struggle to make a living and provide jobs. you won't be buying, trying or renting anything locally if your local shop goes out of business. I do know 4crs is a big supporter of the durango kayaking club but they don't have to donate all their swap proceeds. I suggest you start your own boating shop here and try that I would love to hear how it goes paying your rent.

Old 05-04-2012   #12

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I agree completly. I would gladly donate 25% or even more to a good cause, like ski swap does to the ski patrol. I just feel like the current setup doesn't benefit anybody but 4crs, at the expense of the boating community. They are already going to see profits from the increased foot traffic, sales of accessories to compliment used boats, ect. Share the wealth, or cut the average boater trying to sell some gear a break. When is the jagged edge swap?

Old 05-04-2012   #13

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Mucho- you are still missing the point. Of course the swap benefits 4CRS. That is because they are a business, not a charity. If you don't think it is a good deal, then don't participate. If there are community organizations that are really important to you, then give them some of your own money.
Old 05-04-2012   #14

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatin mucho View Post
I agree completly. I would gladly donate 25% or even more to a good cause, like ski swap does to the ski patrol. I just feel like the current setup doesn't benefit anybody but 4crs, at the expense of the boating community. They are already going to see profits from the increased foot traffic, sales of accessories to compliment used boats, ect. Share the wealth, or cut the average boater trying to sell some gear a break. When is the jagged edge swap?
This is why it is so hard to make it as a kayak shop, everyone thinks they should be getting some sweet deal. Do you barter for prices when you go to the grocery store and then bitch at them when they give away free food to feed the homeless?
Old 05-04-2012   #15

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
"This is a business, this is not a charity. You know, I mean maybe one day Unicef will get into the impound business, but you know, until then, we're the people to see" -Greasy impound guy in Joe Dirt
Old 05-04-2012   #16

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Mucho,

This may come as a shock, but as cool as the guys/gals and owner of 4CRS are their main concern is to make $$$$. I know it's crazy that there isn't a charity designed to support your hobby. However much fun kayaking and rafting may be it's not integral to your biologic needs, ie 4CRS is not tasked with saving your life, keeping you safe, or even keeping you happy for that matter.

Cut these guys a break. Everyone there is an avid outdoorsman, and they try as hard as they can to be competitive. I know living in Durango is a hard task to do affordably, but the owners and employees also live here to and have to pay for the same things you and I do.

If you don't like the way their swap is structured, don't go. Don't bitch because someone had the balls and took the initiative to risk everything and invest in a retail store in a community known for it's economic harshness towards stores that are supported by discretionary spending.

In addition to providing a great retail store to the area, 4CRS has also been very instrumental in helping with river access (Animas Corridor Plan, etc...), been instrumental in supporting many community events/charities, as well as being a stable provided of many jobs in an iffy economy.

I too wish things weren't so expensive and I could afford new gear and take more trips, but I can't and I don't bitch at the store/staff. In fact I love that I can buy most everything I need locally, or order through these guys.

Check your attitude and be happy you live in a town where there is a river store, and be thankful that store is helping ensure you have river access across the region. Have you noticed how many American made products are in the store? To me that is worth a lot knowing I support local jobs and also help support American manufacturing.

The fact you registered a username a couple days ago just to bitch means you are too spineless to be up front and call this group of great people out. I suggest you stick to pool rafts from Wal Mart, and Natty light from Liquor World, but you should still be thankful 4CRS is still helping secure access for your drunken tubing down the lower Animas.
Old 05-04-2012   #17

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
buy all my river gear at 4 corners. i will pay a little bit more to keep my money local and in durango
Old 05-04-2012   #18

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Floating Mucho,
hear ya but don't agree, 25% for a weekend is cheap margin for the amount of energy that goes into putting up tents, advertising, labor to staff, it all costs, the last time I went the event it was packed. It is a business and it is not required for you to sell your things. But, if you want exposure this weekend for your products then you pay the margin. Otherwise use their free board inside or Ebay or Craigslist or Mountainbuzz.

You stated your beef but move on, this is business not a charity sponsored event. I worked at FCRS from 1987 thru 1992 I know how much charity this company has given to the community and continues to give. They may not be perfect but they are damn good..
Old 05-05-2012   #19

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM
Floatin Mucho, we try hard to stick to MSRP, if you paid $40 for an item that had an MSRP of $25 come see me and I will refund you the difference. We also have a price matching policy in place so if you do find an item cheaper somewhere else we will do our best to give you the same deal at our store. As for the swap, it is a fun event, it has worked well for years and if you don't want to be charged a commission we have a bulletin board in the shop you can post your gear on for free. I also agree that craigslist is a great way to sell used gear.

Shonuffkayak, with used boats we only charge the actual cost of shipping, we make nothing above what the freight companies charge us. Sometimes it's $75, usually it's more. Our current system does not have the ability to have a shipping calculator figure it out online so we put a base charge in and call you with the actual freight charges after we contact several shippers to find the best rate. On new boats we have a little room to eat some of the shipping but on consignment gear the cost of shipping is the buyers responsibility and shipping kayaks is expensive due the the dimensions.
I didn't have a problem with the shipping cost. My problem came with being told ( not online) that it was 75$ bought boat then once purchased told it would be double. I live in Ks and expect to pay for shipping its only fair. Boat was in great shape no complaints there. Just wish details of shipping where more forthright. If im in Durango and needed to purchase something I would shop there. However if ordering I will go through CKS as shipping charges don't seem to fluctuate as extreme. Thanks for my kayak and didn't mean to come across as totally negative just double on shipping threw me for a loop.
Old 05-05-2012   #20

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
This week I had to explain to two local small business owners why the ad agency I work for would NOT buy printing services on their behalf from online printing companies. We only use local printers. Period. "Buy local" isn't just a g'damned slogan, it's economic survival for small businesses, especially those in small markets. Don't be a punk, buy local. 4CRS is a great shop that has earned the bidness of the local boating community.