Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 02-10-2007   #1
Womens Kayak-Specific Swift Water Rescue Class

Hey ladies!! The season is fast approaching and we are all hoping it will be a great one!! This may be our first chance to start getting to know one another for the upcoming season. I am helping to organize a women’s specific (except for the instructor) Swift Water Rescue Class. The well-known local expert paddler and instructor Nick Wigston is going to teach us all the basics we need to know to have a safe season together on the river! It will be a great kick-start to the season and prepare us to step it up safely!!
For this rescue class, Class III skills are needed.
(However if you are a beginner and interested, email me and if there is enough interest, we may be able to set up a 2nd class that is beginner specific and will be a one day course.)
Nick has an impressive resume/ qualifications and I will email you his Bio if you are interested. I have paddled with him when I have been out of my element and he has a very calm demeanor and is an excellent teacher!!

Thursday, April 19th, 5-9:30 pm, dryland indoor location TBA
Saturday, April 21st, 9-5 most likely Waterton or Foxton, depending on flow.

The goal of this class is to develop confidence in the students' ability to safely run a river and execute effective rescues. This is a kayak specific class directed towards private kayakers. (“No raft mumbo jumbo” as Nick said.) It is taught using a realistic amount of safety gear and shows what to do if you do run out of gear (being resourceful).
What we will learn (in a nutshell):
- Rescue equipment and how to use it
- Knots
- Ropework: Z-drags, short repels, throw rope training, zip lines, tag lines, pinned boats etc.
- On river organization
- Rescue organization
- Real life rescue scenarios
Required gear:
Rescue Vest, Throw Rope, 6' of webbing, 2 carabiners, 1 pulley, River Knife, Whistle, 4-5mm rope to make prusiks, for both days.
Your kayak and all your kayaking gear for the river day only.
***Everyone should bring proper clothing for cold weather. Drytops, Drysuits, Drypants, Wetsuits, fleece, fleece, and more fleece. Head warmers and wool socks are a must. Also, good river shoes. Everyone will be in the water at some point.

****Cost is $125 per person + $10 for ACA insurance. A $50 deposit is required to secure your spot. Checks payable to Nick Wigston.
The checks can be sent to:
Tina Swan
3107 Milwaukee Street
Denver, CO 80205

Email me with any questions at tswan5@yahoo.com with subject Swift Water Rescue Class. I am very excited to be a part of planning this and look forward to meeting those of you who join!!
Tina Swan

WW Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007   #2
Tina, what a great idea!! I'm sure you'll be seeing some FC girls there. Deposit on the way soon...

holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
are you offering up Nick's bio because he's single and wants to do this class to meet women who kayak? just curious...
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #4
Actually Nick is happily married to a beautiful wife who is a kayaker, so he IS taken...for your "curiosity"...
Old 03-08-2007   #5
don't worry, I have lots of single friends who kayak.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #6
I'm more worried about how cold it's going to be in April on Foxton. Please tell me we'll reschedule if it's snowing...

I know, I know, I'm being a wuss. It's been a long, cold winter and I'm over it.
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #7
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
W's Drysuit

Frenchy sould hook a sister up!
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #8
I need one of those drysuits.......Don- you can give me a demo and I promise I will talk it up and send people to Confluence to buy them! Just a thought...
Holly- The Power of Positive Thinking! It will be a beautiful spring day with clear blue skies and temps in the 80's. We will want to go swimming just to cool off!! :P
Old 03-09-2007   #9
we can reschedule if it is snowing. April is weird around here. I've done classes in early april with great weather and classes in mid may where it snowed. It's hit and miss. we'll make it work though.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007   #10

Still space available in this class?

moshe is offline   Reply With Quote