Old 10-10-2010   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Women's dry suit

I'm looking for a dry suit. Do you gals/guys have any suggestions on pros/cons of any of the ones listed in this link: (minus the expedition)

Are any of these more or less paddling friendly?

What's the drop seat?

I think I want Kokatat, as word of mouth seems to always go back to them but am open to suggestions.

Any thoughts on buying slightly used? If someone has kept their receipt to pass along, can warranties transfer?

Thoughts on the built in neoprene sox? Someone once mentioned to me they thought that was ridiculously unsafe - for fear of the suit taking on water - I didn't really agree but it didn't seem out of the question for there to be a safety issue there.

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #2
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The Drop seat is an opening on your behind for , well you know...

Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow. Perhaps I need to start getting more sleep - that was a ridiculous question. You are a gem for not ridiculing me on that one; )
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #4
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
GMER certainly seems like the standard, with some other companies top models certainly looking very good as well.

I'm looking at the PeakUK creek suit myself. It offers what I see as a much better entry system, good customer/product support and quality materials.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I bought a Kokatat Supernova suit last year and It works well for me. I'm a rafter, not a kayaker, so my needs may be a little different. I got the drop seat, which works ok for pee breaks. I got my suit from Kayak Academy in Seattle. They were awesome to work with. Very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions to help me pick the right suit & size. The Supernova is considered a semi-dry suit, as it has latex gasket wrists, but a neoprene neck. For me the neck is much more comfortable. I would recommend contacting Kayak Academy to chat about your needs.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #6
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
You definitely DO want attached booties. I think most high quality companies make attached goretex (or equivalent) booties, but not necessarily latex or neoprene booties. The fabric booties are much drier than ankle gaskets, and way way easier to put on and take off. You will probably be able to wear cotton socks inside the drysuit booties. Just be sure to take care of them.

Finally, semi-dry might cut it for rafting, but if you're going to use this suit for boating, you'll want gaskets.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Super Nova? Not sure what beyond the lack of Neck gasket makes the SN semi dry. I got one for Riley as it was the only youth one available at the time. I glued in a neck gasket. A non neck gasketed suit is not a serious option for kayaking.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #8
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I have a goretex Kokatat Meridian with drop seat and fabric booties. I love it. The drop seat works great for pee breaks, now I don't have to dehydrate myself so as not to spend 10 minutes trying to get out of a drysuit to pee. I am way more comfortable in warmer (but still cold) conditions than I was in my nonbreathable drysuit. I also bought mine from the Kayak Academy, they were having a sale of 20 percent off, not sure if it's still going on. The Tropos seems like a good deal also.

straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #9
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a Palm drysuit and love it. It's actually a men's small and it fits me pretty well. I'm a pretty small girl, too. I'm about 5'1" and 110lbs. I don't want to start the whole "how to pee on the river" thread all over again, but get yourself a FUD and you don't need the drop seat. The guy's relief zipper works just fine. I actually borrowed a friends' drysuit with the drop seat and it made me crazy. In a kayak you can feel the zippers and they are never in a good place.
You want latex gaskets and attached booties. Goretex is the best, but cheaper options will work. They just won't be as breathable or last as long.
Gaskets around the ankles make it a "semi" dry suit. Those things will never keep the water out if you swim.
Oh, and if you plan on kayking in it, make sure it has a tunnel for your skirt. A lot of models are made for rafting and don't have one.
I love my drysuit for rafting and kayaking. Best gear buy I ever made!

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #10
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
my wife has a Palm Element w/ relief and socks. It is bomber and the customer service is just as good or better than Kokatat.

I paddle a kokatat and love them too, but palm, for 1/2 the money is a steal and well worth it...Also, I have worn this drysuit on several occasions (it is small on me) and can give you a first hand review. BTW my wife is 140 lbs, about 5'10 and she is in the Women's Large.

Palm fabric is thicker and more "bomber" than kokatat
Palm gasket material is thicker and is easier to put on/off
custy service is easy to get in touch with nowadays

you need a buddy to zip you in
the relief zipper is nice for me but I have a pee hose, not a pee hole so you will need a funnel

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote