Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 07-17-2007   #21
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey there. You probably have already purchased a boat (and you should let us know because we are all following this ) but I thought I would add my two cents. I have been out of town teaching for the last few weeks, and just saw this e-mail. Another female perspective might help.

I agree with what everyone is saying, it comes down to your own agression towards the sport and what you want out of your first years of kayaking. I have to admit, I was middle of the road, and still am. I wanted to be able to run down a river and surf some waves. The thought of doing cartwheels in holes was not my thing when I first started. My first boat was the Inazone 220. It was a great boat for my desires. I flipped enough to dial in my roll, but went through enough rapids upright to build confidence. It also surfed. I finally got a place where I wanted more. Now I am in the 2 Fun. I don't think that I would have been happy learning in that boat, but it is perfect now.

That being said, we tend to put most students in river runners, like the Mamba. They still flip (as I can attest to the multiple recuses that I did in the last couple of weeks) but they are more stable than playboats. Our students built up a lot of confidence in a little time. They were able to learn how to eddy turn, ferry and work their way down class III rapids. The river runners have enough edge (and planing hull) to learn eddy turns, ferries and even surf some waves. Once you are ready to move up, you can keep it for big water or sell it to the next newbie who needs a boat.

If you are anything like me, I think you would be happy in the Inazone or Mamba (or something like that.) I have a Mamba 7.5 in my "quiver" and love taking it out on big water runs. If you want to be doing bow stalls, go for the 2 Fun or EZG. Note: my friend who is very like me just got the EZG. She said she is glad she has it now, but wouldn't have wanted to learn in it.

Hope this helps. Just remember, everyone is different. What worked for me might not be the best for you. But, no matter what, have fun out on the river!

Oh, and I totally agree with the outfitting. My girlfriends and I spend hours getting our boats just right (but we are lazy enough to wait for our first swim, then we outfit the boat. I don't know why we do this.) I know a lot of people who purchase JK Happy Feet and the Sweet Cheeks/Happy Seat (I never know what to call it) and put it in their non-Jackson kayak. They love it. For many, it is the way to go.

hanala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #22
Winter Park, Colorado
You may have already bought a boat, but I am going to put my 2 cents in and say a Jackson Fun. They are stable, but not so stable that you are never going to flip over in moving water. I would stay away from an Inazone, there are better boats out there (unless $$ is a concern). I started a Inazone (I had some great experiences) and switched to a Jackson this year (I just wanted a new boat).

I had a friend who was a true beginner, went out one day in a Inazone, hated it, then went out a week later in a FUn and Loved it! She is progressing well and loves the sport and loves her FUN! She flips over, but it is making her try her roll in moving water (she hasn't gotten a combat roll yet, but it is almost there, and she tries everytime!) Although it is also making her actual paddling skills strong because she knows that she could flip over if she doesn't use the right strokes.

We have a friend who is in a tank of a boat, he is starting to run class III and hasn't had a swim because the boat doesn't tip over. I am concerned that he is getting the wrong kind of confidence because of the super stable boat he is in and not because of his actual skills. His actual skills are no where near the women's in the Fun because he is not forced to use them in a big boat.

You will make the right choice for you (if you haven't already!).

Boat-ERS is offline   Reply With Quote