Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 01-08-2012   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What did you get under your belt in 2011?

It's that time of year again...

So, what did you get after in 2011? Any new runs? Did you kill it on old runs? Did you run something that you've walked in the past because you weren't "there" yet?

I had an interesting year...Nursing school kept me busy and quite honestly, miserable, for the spring season, which was reflected in my boating. I swam pretty much every time I got in my boat....including the Golden play park....TWICE...yup.

I had a little talk with myself about the value of getting "Bs" vs "As," and my "self" said to chill the hell out, get some Bs, and enjoy boating and life...to which I listened. "Self" is a real smarty pants.

My list of highlights in 2011 is short and sweet. I had a great time hitting the same runs over and over.

I hit this as many times as I could and although got on once in 2010, 2011 way better - What a FUN RUN!

Upper Gnarrows on the Poudre
Real nice to finally run super collider - been waiting on that one -

Did I mention BAILEY already? Ha, it's just such so good!

Black Rock on Clear Creek
I've run it before, but felt much better about it in 2011 than 2010, and had a real good time play boating it at low water. The play boating ventures, down through Rigo, ranged from a smidgen over 200, down to a whopping 70 cfs.

I can't wait for the upcoming season (and yes, I am 100% positive we are going to get snow...). I will be done with nursing school and be able to give my kayaking the undivided attention it deserves!

Happy New Year! Twenty Twelve!

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #2
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The highlight of 2011 for me was just being able to get on the river. I had major knee surgery with a recovery that hasn't gone very well. So just getting back in my boat and hitting the river was a huge accomplishment. I owe a big thanks to the awesome folks I run with......they took such good care of me, and didn't allow me to wimp out and feel sorry for myself.
July 2011 I got to check the Rogue River off my life list. What a beautiful place and a great trip with a fun bunch of people.

Edna.....Congrats on Nursing school. I've been in the profession for 31 years & still love it.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #3
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
My 2011 highlight was the Rogue as well. We went in mid November and it was amazing! My first multi in my new boat with some of the best people in the world.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #4
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
My highlights for 2011 were moving to Colorado. As far as new runs, I lived on the Ark all summer rafting for potentially my last full time season, bounced down the Roaring Fork, and parts of the Rio Grande through Big Bend. 2012, is going to be an epic year for sure.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Totally fun season!

We intoduced Riley (10) to Westwater this year. That was a big mental step for me after having a scary, 12,000 CFS, 6 month pregnant swim with him! He ran Little D in his kayak, and rode the rest of the canyon in the raft with me.

The Eagle at 4000 had some big hits and was super fast.

6 days on the Dolores...pretty relaxing.

I'd have to say my favorite runs were down Boulder Creek, some at high water. The first at 400 CFS in a 12' raft with an oar frame. Working up to a little over 900 CFS in the 16' Aire with an oar frame. Having it in my back yard got me out there 15 times or more, and the ability to bring non-boater friends and family was awesome. Definitely got my ass kicked (Beth, shhh). I decided the mid 600s were sticky hole hell and oars, after they're ripped out of your hands, can take on a personality of their own! But I had some fantastic bruises, good stories, and certainly upped my skills.

Maybe if we all put out our thanks for a great 2011 season, we'll see some snow soon.

Happy New Year!
Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #6
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I got to do a lot of Class V boating, but I was stoked to do Gilman Gorge for my first time and then hit up North Fork of the Crystal (one of my favorites) in the same weekend. I also paddled 28 miles of Clear Creek (Lawson to Golden) in one day and didn't walk anything but the dam. Also my 3rd day on the Gauley this year I did the marathon 26 miles. Very fun year!!!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Definitely got my ass kicked (Beth, shhh).
Oh man! How could I forget our run down Boulder Creek!?! A highlight for sure!!! Toni, all I know is we ended the run with everything we started it with...even if everything wasn't the same shape...

Edna.....Congrats on Nursing school. I've been in the profession for 31 years & still love it.
1) you're boofing a cat in your pic - i've always thought that was awesome.
2) I'll have to get in touch next time I head to Utah!
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #8
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
My highlight was the sf salmon. It is a sweet and remote class v run and it was even better than people said. It was a weird year for me, not a lot of new stuff. But i continue to get flips on new rivers and survive. And keep coming back for more and working on becoming a solid class v boater. Still stepping it up.

Flips also included in my new ik on day 1!

My big goal for this year is golden canyon on the sf clearwater. What a stinker it was to catch last year. Other goals from last year moved on to this year are the cascade and tumwater in nw wa. I'm looking forward to starting the year in the gc on my little cat, i hope that starts out an awesome year.

Let it snow ladies!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #9
aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
duckie madness....1/11/11 - 11/1/11

Thailand....Gulf of Thailand , Siem Reap, kwai................48 days
Uganda..White Nile.............................................. .....20 '
Tennessee....Ocoee,Tellico........................ ................87 '
West Virgina...Gauley.................................. ...............1 '
Colorado......Roaring Fork, Eagle, Colorado....................21 '
Utah.....Colorado................................. ....................10 '
...., total............................................. .................187
Countries traveled 2011..Japan, Thailand, Ethiopia, Uganda, India, Italy
dead people witnessd.................................8
ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #10
aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
Cambodia - Siem Reap river.& Tha Thai.river/.....first D
Thailand - Kwai, Song Preak rivers ( not siem reap )

ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote