Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 09-11-2010   #41
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Just got back from a trip to CO/NM. Rowed the Gunnison Gorge at +/-300cfs, Brown's Canyon on the Arkansas at about 200/250cfs, and the Racecourse section of the Rio Grande at 197cfs. I guess I was a month or two late for big water, or any water for that matter! Glad I brought the Puma and not the 14 footer. I am definately coming back earlier next year!

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #42
not much new in colorado but had a good winter/ spring

green truss
sandy river
hagen gorge
canyon creek
opal creek
celestial falls
fish creek

high water poudre (not new but awesome)
upper clear creek

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #43
Not a new section to me but, riverboarded the royal gorge at 5300cfs. Which made it pretty much new.
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #44
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Hit big Timber a couple times,Lower mesa, Fremont canyon extremely highwater. Lower Fremont, hyalite upper and lower a bunch. Yankeejim, beartrap, clear creek rigo section, west fork gallatin, got back into deer creek at 1k and boated macho munchies and miners delight, hit quake couple times well over 100 days in my season and still going, gally again today, happy able to get 4 laps on gore, bunch more at poudre narrows, made my two favorite races. Poudre and gore. Great season over all mesa this weekend or ill be headed for some koot. Great season even made a lap on bluegrass, two runs I'm bummed to miss payette big water and big south. I love big south not bad seasons nowhere close to finished.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #45
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
CC Kermit's to bridge
Upper Animas

Cataract Canyon at 53,000 cfs (ok, so I've done it before, but it counts as a new run at 50K+)

Fossil Creek
East Verde Creek

And just moved to Oregon, so new firsts up here are just beginning
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010   #46
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Set the raft up with an oar frame, so plenty of new stuff for me. The biggest highlight was my first multi-day, Lodore in late August. Great trip, but will definately go for four days, not three, next time.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #47
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by yakkeranna View Post

East Verde Creek
Want to give a little beta on this one? when, flow, your rating, etc? This is high on my list for the future.....
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #48
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I had an incredible year with 5 (or 6 depending on how you count) personal firsts.

WA- Wind river (upper)
ID - Selway, SF Clearwater (Mickey Mouse), Middle 6 & Lower 7 of NF Payette
MT - Madison (Beartrap), Yaak (Lower)

I am also schedule to do Hells for the first time in October, hopefully that trip works out for me.

Next year I'm looking for SF Salmon, EF/SF Salmon, and the Kicking Horse (BC) or other BC river. Perhaps another Washington first also.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #49
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
And I led the upper Lochsa for the first time at 7+ feet. That was a rowdy first!

I'm at 46 days now and I don't boat evenings at all. With Hells Canyon and hopefully a Nov & Dec boating days I'll be over 50. If I boat in Nov & Dec it will be my first time boating in each month of a calendar year. November will be tough (travel) so I'm not counting on that first.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #50
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003

We did the East Verde one of the weekends in feb when Az was flooding and we decided it worth it to drive 13 hrs from CO to kayak for a few days. Someone (from mtn buzz, I think?) told us it was running, so we jumped on it- it was pretty low, but runnable- I don't think we ever figured out the exact flow. It was good that it was low for us though because it gorges up and gets steep at a couple points, and it would have been hard to stop and scout if the river was pumping. I remember there being two distinct gorges, bracketed by flatter sections with class IIIish stuff and lots of trees, sometimes having very channelized creeky stuff with pin potential, sometimes just boulder gardens.

In the first gorge there was several drops- 10' (looked a lot like low-water Tunnel), a 20' slide, another 10-15' that looked possibly runnable but we portaged it, numerous smaller drops between 5-10'.

The second gorge had some more smaller drops and a chute-like rapid (that I portaged but my buddy ran). Also a section where the river was completely filled with giant, GIANT, boulders and the whole river became one giant sieve- we portaged that whole section, too. That section might be runnable at a real flow, but when we were there it looked sketch.

The takeout is super difficult to find from the road. We ended up hauling our boats for a couple miles on a road that we thought was private property -it turned out to be public property, but you had to talk to a local rancher to get the key to open the gate- it was weird. Apparently if you continue down a couple more miles on class II there's a better takeout.

Overall it was an insanely cool trip- I would recommend planning for two days to do it. We brought our sleeping bags as an emergency measure but we didn't bring much food, so we had to share 3 potatoes and several packs of fruit snacks for our dinner/breakfast ("Ha, we can do 18 miles in one day!!"). I slept in my drypants and wore the skin off my ankles, and my buddy slept in his drysuit, inside our sleeping bags- because we decided to go kayaking in February in the desert for fun

At that level, I would say a couple of the drops are class V, but mostly class IV or IV+, with a couple portages. It is very remote though, and there's a lot of pin potential. At higher water, I could see more of the gorged-up drops becoming class V or V+.

I can send you some pics if you want... taken with a waterproof disposable camera

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote