Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 08-25-2010   #31
OlyPen, Washington
I had more than 80 days on the water (lakes and ocean), but only a few of those on a river...I don't count slow-moving ones that I can paddle both upstream and down.

Surely there are a few more women who will answer the OP's question? It's not couched in a competitive tone.

H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #32
Columbia Falls, Montana
Quite a few repeats for me this year. But did get the Lower Salmon from HammerCrk to Heller Bar in for the first time.

MSW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #33
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
how was the grand? I got to do it spring of 08 and can't wait to get back. I bet you had a killer time despite having to go with that Eric Nourse guy ; )

I had to look up Husum falls and the Wenatchee...never heard of it. Looks like fun: )

What job do you have? YOU had a lot of time to go paddling : )
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #34
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
how was the grand? I got to do it spring of 08 and can't wait to get back. I bet you had a killer time despite having to go with that Eric Nourse guy ; )
Yeah... you know... it was the Grand . Eric looks great in a thong .
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #35
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I actually don't get to paddle much. However, this year was different. My wife wanted to visit her family and she took our kids with her. I went on a 9-day paddle spree during peak runoff (only got in 1 day of field work!).

Remember when you checked the flows and everything said CRANKIN? This was a dream come true! Anything you wanted to run, you could, including Grape Creek (still have not run this one). So, me and a friend went around checkin em off. Most of the sections I listed were run on that trip.

I really enjoy paddling sections that I have never run. Therefore, when I go boating, it is usually on something new. Numbers and Browns were not new but at 3200 they sure as hell seemed new.

The real deal on this thread is Solid. This guy's first year out runs Numbers, Royal Gorge, Eleven Mile, Bailey(!). That is schweet! My first year out, I was running the Chattahoochee and Nantahala and was scared stiff!
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #36
Denver, Colorado
I'm a canoe river guide mainly, plus didn't get on the river until late June this year due to recovering from whiplash from an April car accident.

For canoeing, got to do an old favorite stretch with just 3 canoes (instead of the usual 13) so could take some new channels and hikes on the Gunnison Escalante-Whitewater stretch, and ran the Colorado Ruby/Horsethief trip for the first time in several years. Also had a "fun" 5-day on the Green with flash flooding (not the one that took out Mineral Bottom, but our shuttle did have problems).

HOWEVER, I got to try inflatable kayaks/rubber duckies/funyaks for the first time, and my first time running the Rio Grande at South Fork. Had a blast and now looking forward to more exciting stuff than I usually can do. (I've done the Moab daily in a canoe, but we don't use floatation.) Also got to run the chutes of the South Platte in Denver for the first time in a friend's raft. Going to be purchasing some IKs for Christmas, so really looking forward to having the opportunity to pull those out for quick runs of a couple hours rather than my usual 3-day canoe trips on the other side of the state.
cue2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #37
Cornelia, Georgia
Paddling Since: noob
Just starting out and got a used Dagger G-ride and bought all the gear.
I have learned to roll and now I am working on carving turns....
Unfortunately it is starting to get cold...
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #38
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
New runs for me this year were Escalante, Joe Wright, Big South, and I think that was it. It was also my first year at the gore race (spectating, not racing).

Otherwise, it was time on the standard runs for me; black rock and lower clear creek, gilman, spencer heights and the middle narrows, some great big T runs, bailey, gore.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #39
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Joe's Valley Creek in UT
BIG flow on the Big River Box segment
5200+ cfs on the Arkansas
nearly top to bottom Taylor (Park Run + Lottis to Almont)

did a lot of boating but those were the highlights
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #40
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Cue2go - we used to CARRY canoes up that road at mineral bottom! Isn't that awful? Rather, the students for the organization I worked for did it and we instructors walked it sans canoe, offering a lot of moral support ; ). We stopped the canoe carry, at one point, and had to drive a Ford F150 dualy down there with the canoe trailer in tow! Both were Heinous. I would love to see a pic of the washed out road. I heard about it.

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote