Old 04-02-2013   #11
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Mine was the Vail play park. There was a large crowd of tourists watching us surf. When I flipped all I could think was " I am not gonna let those rich touristy bastards see me swim"

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #12
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Me and my work buddies at Raft Masters were doing a 5 day Ruby/Westwater trip. At the put in we were waiting for some people to get ready. I had never been in a kayak before so I wanted to try it out. Put on all the gear and was just paddling around in an eddy. Everyone sitting around kept telling me to try and roll. They explained how it worked and what to do. Tried a couple times and swam. Then on my third or forth try I got it. So it took me about 10 minutes to learn. A couple days later a kayaker on the trip had to bail right before Westwater. So she let me borrow her paddle and kayak. Kayaked all of Westwater. No swims but plenty of combat rolls. Guess I was a natural.

livin_tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #13
Watertown, South Dakota
Paddling Since: 2000
The first time I had a clean roll was in 07. I had been kayaking for a few years and had never learned how to roll. I was on a trip to Steamboat Springs and was excited to run some easier rivers and to gain some experience from 'real' kayakers. First night in town, down to the play park I go and have a few swims but met up with some people who helped me with rolling. The next night I was sitting in an eddy with the same people talking about rolling and one says "Do it" I was surprised by the command but down I went and without even thinking up I came. Later on the same trip I was kayaking on the Blue below Green Mt. Res. and came to the largest rapids in the stretch and over I went on the first wave. I remember thinking 'oh shit now I have to swim,' then thinking 'hell no this water is too cold for that' so I set up and hit my first roll. After I got through that one of the people I was paddling with was amazed that I was able to roll in that, he had just learned to roll a few weeks before.
rudy8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #14
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Hojo can't remember his first roll cause it hasn't happened!

I ran Steven's down probably 10 times never flipping and not having a roll. Then one day I flipped on Cardiac corner paddling with Scotty. When he didn't see me attempt to roll he asked why. I said I didn't know how. "You have no fvcking business being up here. Get your ass down to filter plant and learn to roll!"
I never had instruction but I saw others do it and had the gist. I tried about 5 times in a pond before giving up...then tried another day about 5 times...gave up. Then paddled FP and in the squirly eddy just before you cross under the road I got it first try. Went up for a second lap and thought "well isn't the offside just the opposite?" Got it first try! Thought I was a master.

Ran Steven's down again with 2 of my friends. 1 swam and the other chased the boat. I also gave chase but was quite a ways behind and essentially reading the river for the first time (not counting FP) instead of following. I went into that real sticky hole center of the river near the campground on Lower Mish. Got HAMMERED and missed my first roll after learning to roll ever!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #15
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
My first combat was in toilet bowl (small class 3 rapid) on the Clackamas. I was stoked and addicted from that point on!

Originally Posted by helliontroy View Post
My first roll was two weeks ago. I remember it like it was... two weeks ago.
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #16
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
First roll

Long ago... maybe 1992.
It happenned the first time sitting in my $100 garage sale kayak with an REI "foot-ball-bat" of a paddle.
I had rafted quite a bit and could read the river well enough but the kayak was a new experience.
Arkansa river I put in at the bridge and drifted down to Ruby ramp to join our rafting party for the Brown's Canyon stretch. I did ok but swam once after getting a little sideways and catching a few bottom rocks. Not far down I managed to get pushed against a river left rock face and swam to a nice eddy just below to drain the boat. After delaying the group I knew I had to try a roll in the eddy without any guidance and I actually came up on the third try then quickly shoved back into the current. The rest of the run was incident-free and I learned quickly that if you lean back, away from the waves you get a snoot full. By leaning forward and powering through most of the waves just broke around me, but I had to lead the rafts or risk a mid-rapid pass as there was no option to just eddy-out at that stage.

I still spend more time pushing rubber, but I finally got a better paddle and my skills in a kayak have grown to include hand-rolls and even self-support trips in low water years.
I credit my quick start to the huge old kayak, which I still proudly own and get lot's of comments about.

First combat roll came on the Race course of the Rio Grand at "Big Rock", but I still managed a third place finish in the down-river race back in 2002ish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9230219.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	5886  
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #17
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
First roll was in 1991, Perception Dancer, 90% offset paddle. I was taught the "old school" extended roll - where for a right hand roll you move your right hand from the shaft to the blade as you setup for the sweep roll. A solid way to roll with plenty of leverage but slow on the setup and then slow on the finish as you're moving your hand from blade back to shaft. It took a fair amount of practice to remove the training wheels and switch to a regular sweep roll.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #18
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
My first combat roll was on the Adams river. It is mostly class 2 but has a big weir drop 3-3+ at the beginning. It has a tongue that is easy to follow but you must run it on river right. The group pulled into and eddy above to scout it out. I flipped over trying to pull into the eddy and to everyone's horror thought I was going to swim over the weir. Luckily I rolled...I was then dubbed the one who invented the 'eddy over'.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #19
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I taught my 65 year old mother-in-law to roll in Pike Lake MN. Talk about high pressure...
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #20
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
1996...Bottom of PineView on the Poudre. I was a raft guide at the time so ALL of my learning came after work on the same sections I just took custy's down. I had run all of bridges a few times and swam A LOT...I started working on my roll at the "ender hole" but had been unsuccessful.

I stepped up to run Pineview...went upside down at the bottom and got pushed into the big rock bottom left just as I tried to roll...scraped the back of my helmet on the rock and punched out because it freaked me out (first head bonk). I realized if I had stayed upside down for 3 more seconds I could have attempted my roll in the big pool.

Walked back up and ran it again....almost the same outcome but I waited a few seconds and POP... hit my first roll in the pool below.

I was in a borrowed wavesport fusion.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote