Old 12-19-2006   #1
typical 2nd year progression?

So I know I just joined and have been posting a lot, but its the off-season and I have nothing better to do.

Just wondering, what is a typical progression for a 2nd year kayaker (I know there's not really a standard) as I am trying to figure out where to set my goals for next summer to push myself, but not be stupid about it.

YakaRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Make Class III your bitch.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #3
what are some good class III runs other than pinnacle to parkdale on the ark?
YakaRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #4
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
definately brown's canyon, man if i lived down there.. sheesh .. does that run ever get old? i dont think it can
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
The Poudre has some great class III sections, Gunni Gorge is fantastic.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
Foxton (boulder garden is such a nice training ground, lap it), Waterton <700, Royal Gorge 500-800, Numbers at <900, "certian portions of Clear Creek at the right level," Durango town run at high water (whoo hooo!) Run any of these at high flows with adaquate crew, acceptance of possible lost gear and expectations commiserate with water's power.

When I say make it your bitch: play in the worst holes, roll offside when you flip, run wierd lines (that dont include terminal hazards), boof when possible, spat the shit out of rocks, cartwheel at inopportune times, get drunk and go play boating.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #7
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I second the nomination for drunken playboating. And "other" playboating.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #8
oh yeah
buy a creek boat and start firing up the creeks. clear creek from lawson down is a good start. then lower clear creek into town, alto, alto sbc, boulder canyon to the park, low water pine creek, and then swim the black rock section on clear creek a few times. (adjust the above depending on your level of tolerance to cold, pain, rocks, and constant criticisms from others saying you have no business paddling a specific section.) that was my recipe for success.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #9
Metro Area, Colorado
I would add to really hone in on your skills that you set during the first year. Use that foundation to really become comfortable in the boat, making moves, and becoming a more fluid paddler.

You can do this by staying on class III runs and "making them your bitch" but also don't be afraid to hop onto tougher runs (IV- IV) with the right crew.

Also, playboat, playboat, playboat.

Good luck this season!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #10
pnw, Washington
I have seen several people have a bit of a setback at the beginning of their second year. Dont get frustrated. My advice is to do stuff you enjoy, push yourself at a level you are comfy with and just have fun. The rest of it will take care of itself.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote