Old 09-21-2011   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by studytime View Post
If you havent seen this Russian Video it is by the far the best. - ??????????? ?????? ? ?????-??????: ???????, ??????????, ????????, ???????, ??????? ??????, ????????????? ?????, ???????? ?? ?????? ????.

And they are selling those crazy catarafts in the ads on the page. So Epic!
They run some crazy 5+ with the double doughnut raft in that video. I want to know where you buy the red, white, and blue bouncy castle rafts : ) Not so sure about their skill level, but they have some serious cajones. And while their craft lack the elegance of some things we westerners use, they seem to do well with some very serious whitewater.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #22
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
SummitSurfer; no kidding on the high floats! I too was thinking they looked like pool floaties until I saw how high one of the swimmers was floating. Kind of blances out the extreme swim factor!

melissawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #23
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
I really need to boat with more Russians. Studytime ~ That video was awesome! They were totally building their log frame at the put in! There was a crazy amount of awesomeness in that video.
What river do you think that was? I guess i could translate the credits on line, but if you know...
It's really in the middle of EuroAsia.

The river is called Karagem it's in the middle of an area called Altay
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #24
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
Russian the Grand

Not only are the Russians lifejackets far superior in flotation to our wimpy american pfds but they are also way ahead of Americans on the green factor! After the last rapid, they pull the newspaper out of their lifevests and burn it, repacking all new newspaper for the next trip

The Russians were a great trip to work with. A few weeks before the trip they called me for a van shuttle from Vegas. I asked them what they were going to do about all their gear? They said not to worry about, it they only have bags and they will have put them on their laps all the way to the Ferry. I agreed but had a hard time believing it, so I mentioned "Hey if the driver gets there and he can't load the bus with all your stuff, your going to have to rent a car or something." They laughed, "19 passenger Van?", no problem. What about tables, I asked. "Tables? We do a river trip? No Guides, No tables! But you bring this Grover for us? We deposit for you?" When we arrived the trip was loaded in minutes

There was one canadian guy that was translating and running with him. A few days before they called me on the SAT phone and said "Brady, we reach DC tonight so you come and pick us up, OK? "Uh, ok. Do you want anything?", I asked. Cigarettes!! American Beer!!" Like what kind of american beer? "Budweiser!", he said. You could hear the whole group in the background, BUDWEISER At the bottom they were hanging with the Grand Canyon Youth group yucking it up. I passed out the smokes and beer and they tossed their backpacks in the back of the truck with the Grovers and all of them rode the stakebed to the top of the road smoking and drinking all the way up. On the drive up I switched spots with the canadian and crawled out of the window(while the Canadian was driving) and jumped in the back with them. They thought nothing of it and carried on about the trip. After about 15 miles they talked about Americans great big trucks and then asked who's driving? I told them the truck was on cruise control and the canadian was asleep. The one guy translated to the other folks and everyone nodded together and whispered. The translater turned to me and said "yeah the Canadian guy was a great dude but not quite as hearty..The Canadians have an easy life... American trucks and cruise control, COOL! Smoke? Then they went on about their Unimog Truck and they told me I could drive it when I come to Russia and run rivers But we no Grovers This too much..Government No meddle like this"

Ultimate peeps!

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #25
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
You know I've always wanted a Ural. They ride those things in the winter up there (when is it NOT winter, up there?)
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #26
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Back during Soviet era there wasn't much of choice or variety. When you walk down the street and see a line, you stand in it and hope for something good. You had to build/repair everything yourself.

The adventurous type had to build everything themselves and come up with great designs and improve via mistakes. How do you think we got the first cosmonaut into space? With duct tape!

Luckily for me, I am now spoiled with American dream and have Maravia in my garage.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #27
Boulder, Colorado
This is the same Russian group! Yes, your group and mine did piggy back down river! Too funny. We'll have to go boating sometime together. I'll look to see if I can find any pics of your group that I may have taken from camp, as you passed by.

I think we could all take a lesson from the Russians in using things we a already have, already been manufactured, has already made its carbon footprint, etc... rather than going out to buy "things" we "need." Resourcefulness that's born of necessity makes some of the best shit!

The guy in the 2nd pic, with the modern puffy coat, was with he has modern stuff on! He was checking out the - rope to thigh - brace system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	russian raft.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	3984   Click image for larger version

Name:	russian raft 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	3985  

Click image for larger version

Name:	russian raft 3.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	3986  

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote