Old 07-06-2013   #1
denver, Colorado
Suggestions for a kayak

I'm new to paddling and just paddle around cherry creek res. until I get my balance and rolls and stuff. My husband had an old Perception Infrared that I'm using. It an 8ft boat. I think it's too big for me and he doesn't.
I'm 5'2" and approx 135lbs, give or take 5. I'm looking for something to go down the rivers, maybe class III. I might want to play a bit, but I cant say at this point.

any comments and thoughts would be appreciated. I'm looking to buy a used boat, or just stick with the one I have.

lwightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Welcome to the Buzz. If you can outfit this snug enough to fit you, i.e. snug on hips and knees, it should make a fine learner/riverruner. If you want to be able to throw it around and learn tricks it will be too big.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #3
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Liquid logic trigger is going to be a good beginner boat. Stable and older so cheap. Not going to get any play out of it though
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013   #4
NO Trigger!

I'm 5' and probably weighted 145 lbs when I had a Trigger. I flipped on The Fractions and it was all I could do to get out. I never got in that boat again.

I'd recommend a Jackson 2Fun, or I'm using a Wavesport EZG and I like it. I've used a Wavesport Siren and now the EZG, and I think Wavesport's outfitting and boat designs work best for me.
suznull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Love my Trigger

I'm sorry that anyone had a bad experience, but I have to say that I have loved my Trigger! It's been a great introduction to kayaking. It's like my trusty steed. I've feel super stable, and able to learn to use edges better than in a totally displacement hull. Just make sure you have float bags, and it shouldn't be too horrible to drag to shore. And i've got a few little surfs out of it as well! I would totally recommend it!

I'm still pretty new to the sport, but that's my 2cents!
julsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #6
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
The old perceptions have a lot smaller cockpit than the LL trigger does for doing wet exits. I also learned in that boat. In some ways I wished I would have kept it. It was a great boat to learn in.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote