Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 12-05-2006   #11
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
You know "feeling it" Doesn't mean you'll make it. It means you ran it and you're willing to accept the results for the right reasons.........Kayaking is risky and taking the risks for the wrong reasons takes away from why I love kayaking. ...............This is one of the best discussions I've ever had on the Buzz........Are guys allowed in the Betty Buzz?? Or am I poaching?

Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #12
Guys are definitely allowed on Betty Buzz! Glad you are part of it. It's those creepy comments directed toward women that we would rather not have to deal with on Betty Buzz.

Speaking of...nice comeback, moshe.

holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #13
male protection

I feel more safe boating with my husband, no doubt. Most of the times I have pushed myself skill wise I made sure he was in the group, more from a safety than a confidence-inspiring perspective. I suppose part of it is because I know he's looking out for me because he loves me, but it's more because he really knows his shit with safety/rescue- way more so than my class III-IV boating friends that I regularly paddle with.

On the other hand, I have been extremely frustrated boating with him- when I have felt like and he's floating backward through a rapid (hohum...). Drives me CRAZY! Plus I have this feeling that I want to impress him- a feeling I don't have when boating with paddling buddies at my skill level. I've found that I'm a bit harder on myself when I paddle with him too- a swim or wrong move seems to embarass me more or something. I want him to think I'm a good paddler.

I am really thankful that we can share together something that means so much to each of us. Most of the season we don't paddle together, which isn't such a bad thing either- I have a chance to learn at my own pace. And when we do paddle together, I get free lessons, which is great... but it's not like you want to be in student mode every time you're on the river.

my long 2 cents worth

nicole wigston
nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Great article from Andria! I've paddled with her many times and seen her at her worst along with alot of shinning moments. She is a very strong willed woman. I've paddled alot with women in the past and think Andria hit alot of issues paddling as a woman that I have witnessed. Very nice to read she stepped up and cleaned up without her safety net.

Moshe, chicken? As you know walking is part of our game. My thoughts on your last sentence is this. Did I have clean lines til this decision? If yes, ask yourself 2 very important questions. 1-can I make the lines needed to run clean(skill wise) 2- can I deal with the consquences of missing them.(getting worked, swim, do you feel strong ect) if yes to these two questions, I say get in there and try. If no on either two, try again next trip. Somedays we want to push and some days we want to relax. It's suppose to be fun and sometimes you watch the show, other times you are the show. Either way it's great. Remember you're the only one in your boat to pay the piper or reap the rewards of riding the liquid train. So your decisions are yours.

Mountainbuns, are we hitting the NF this year? It's about time to boat together again?

Some of my best boating memories I have are with a couple Cali girls leading me down a high water purdons run. Boater girls make a great elimate a little better.

Good luck ladies
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #15
Nice posts Moshe. It's been 29 years since my first rapid. And i think some of the stuff you describe as female boating related is not really gender specific. Most of us had a mentor who helped us along then some became mentors ourselves. Altho payment schedules were obviously different . I too have watched young men with less of a skill level run stuff I walk. I call it just plain chicken but that's me. especially since I have had kids. Anyway enjoyed your posts. and don't get a big head about the verbal spanking you gave ole super patriot he easy . sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote