Old 03-31-2007   #21
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Lots of great advice here.

I have a similar situation with both my daughter and wife. Both have full kayak gear and seem to love it but are scared to death of leaving an eddy.
My daughter was rolling after a half an hour last year but she won't wet exit without freaking out so I cant leave her side. My wife was doing great 2 summers ago until she had a swim on the upper sea, something that seemed harmless to me, (I floated her down without even a scratch) but now she is white knuckled as soon as she gets in a boat(those doors of perception).
Tonight I just bought 2 duckies and it will be up to them where they go from here. All I know is that I love the river (120+ paddles last year w/ a full time job) and the only thing that could make my time there any better is to have them with me.

Now as far as this whole thing being a girl / guy issue! Hmmmm

The things I read in the previous post are all the same things I dealt with when I learned. I was pinching a loaf as soon as I saw the water. I taught my self how to roll, and paddle well enough to not feel like a total a@@ in front of other people. My wife and daughter would go with me in tubes to the upper sea or sweet-water, that and hours in big Eddy's is how I got enough confidence to go with paddle club. Through paddle club I met some great paddlers (women) who taught me from there. Now I'll paddle with anyone that will have me

I guess my point is that its not a female thing to feel the way she feels. Each one of us has her or his way of dealing with situations like those that present themselves on the river and it all comes down to how bad we want it.
Kayaking is definitely a self journey into the soul that can tell us a lot about ourselves. Some don't like what they see others embrace it and still others choose to not go there.

My other point is definitely get her into a female group, they are far better at teaching and making someone comfortable in the present situation!

LOL Ive been married almost 16 years now and that's my 2 sense!

stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote