Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 11-21-2006   #1
Opinions from ladies on the Pyranha Stretch

Hi Ladies,
Any opinions regarding the Pyranha Stretch? Any one paddle one? I am looking for a "one" boat option. I currently paddle an "old school" boat, an RPM and use it on everything. I enjoy CL IV to easy V and playful Cl III water, big and creeky. I enjoy making hard moves in rapids and playing along the way. I do not aspire to the "gnar" type creeks or super hard Class V. I am 5' 7", normal girl weight. I know of a few fellows who liked the Stretch but was wondering about the gals. Also, was wondering if I should wait for the 2007's? Has Pyranha changed anything about the Stretch?
I only have demo'd a M/L in the pool, wondered how it handled on real rivers. Thanks in advance.

wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I had a really bad day in the Stretch so don't take my word as the final one on the topic...I think it's kind of a poor design, especially for smaller people. It's super flat-bottomed with volume in the wrong places for women with shorter torsos. I had a bit of trouble at first rolling it in flat water, let alone in rapids. I am a little smaller than you, and mostly legs, but I think there are much better boats out there for what you are looking to use one for. I took the stretch down Gore this fall and had one of the worst days I can remember paddling wise. It was still kayaking though . I have paddled a lot of different boats and loved the kingpin as far as a great all around boat. I felt very comfortable in class IV in the kingpin and the project. I paddle a project now, which I took a little longer to warm up to, but now I love it. There are a lot of great boat designs that work well for women out there, but in my opinion the Stretch is not one of them.

conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #3
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Loved the project...til I rented the wrong one by mistake. How was I to know they make 3 sizes.
So yeah, check out the Project, and at your size the Project 45 might be the ticket. But I hear wonderful things about the Kingpin.

I like Project 52, but I am bigger than you. ~ 150 pounds on a good day. 5' 9"
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Hi Wanderer,
I'm an old school boater (x 20yrs) and lover of really big water, same size and skill level as you. I'll never be a grand play boater so I traded in my RPM for a Dagger GT for my all around big water, low water and creek boat. One of these days I'll get a strict play boat but until then I've been happy with my GT. Kim
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #5
Paddling Since: 1993
Did I miss something here. I believe the question was regarding an all around boat that runs rivers and is also playful. Coming from a displacement hulled RPM to project (come on). If i were you I would look at the Jackson fun series almost exclusively. The stretch is an OK boat but I doubt you would feel it was playful enough after a few weeks. Also I don't particularly like the outfitting, the seats are too narrow and for girls in general this = uncomfortable. I recommend the fun's because I bought one for my girlfriend last year. She was in an old infrared which shares some design characteristics of the RPM. The Infrared was OK, she was comfortable on class 3 but never really felt in control of the boat, also here roll was inconsistent in the infrared. I bought her a fun 2 and she is 110 lbs. I chose this size as it it suited to her weight as a playful river runner not a true play boat. As I don't know what typical weight for a 5'7" girl is I think you should try both the fun and the fun 2 and see which is more to your liking. These boats are the most comfortable around, lightest weight, cheapest cost and best design for what you want to do. I would not recommend creeking in it but I don't think a stretch would run the shit any better.

P.S. my girlfriends confidence has exploded in this boat. Her roll is 90% and she paddles so much better now. Best of all she raves about her boat, which of course I bought for her (kudos).
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #6
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I must have missed something...I have paddled a couple of boats from the fun series as well, and went with the project 45. What, in your opion mrekid, makes the fun so much more appropriate a choice that you would be critical of other people's opinions here in a forum meant for discussion?

conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote