Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 05-21-2007   #11
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Well, I can't speak for all the CW gals, but I think the majority would agree that this guy doesn't have a clue. I doubt if he has had a date in years! (But, then again, most of us paddle girls don't have time to date either)
Did we, by chance, chase this gentleman's boat? Maybe he has a hard time dealing with the fact that most of us paddle girls could kick his butt! He is probably intimidated by confident women. This is very sad, but we see it in all sports as well as at work every day. Unfortunately, this is probably one of our friends and we have no idea he really feels this way.
I do want to thank you guys for sticking up for us (even though we don't really need it, it's still nice).

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ok, I'll be the one to stand up for these fine young river stewards.

Case in point: Just this past weekend I helped a friend of mine move. Among the moving items was an old Necky Gliss owned by my friend's lovely, former boating partner, and now wife. This old boat hasn't gotten wet since their garage sprung a leak in 2002. As far as I can tell the boating ceased as soon as the sparks began to fly. Now she is roping him into domestic hell. They just bought a house in the burbs with a 3 car garage (plenty of room for the Necky), got a new leather couch from Sofa Mart, and they're going to start having kids. Just makes me sick to see people starting a family and nurturing their love when they could be boating.

Case 2: The only other woman boater I know has a boyfriend and she still boats. Why does she still boat? Hasn't been able to tie the knot.

But, this is where I must confess that I too, a male, started boating to meet members of the opposite sex. 5 years ago, while in a committed relationship, I had the insight to realize that she would eventually leave me, and I needed to start building a network where I could meet other women. Kayaking seemed like the obvious solution - a sport full of women desperate to find males for domestic bliss.

I admit that so far, the results have been surprisingly disappointing, having met one woman who is already spoken for (see above). However, last year at the Gore race, I found a drunk girl who recognized me and gave me a hug. I believe this to be a clear sign that I'm headed in the right direction. It won't be long before I can rope in the girl of my dreams, quit boating, and go get that alabaster silver metallic mini van I've had my eye on. I'm giving it 10 more years before I go to my backup plan of being an a-hole to every woman I meet.

While I'm at it, I can't pass up the perfect opportunity to put in my resume. I've learned that woman are attracted to 3 primary qualities: a nice guy, an intelligent guy, and a guy that has resources to provide for a family. This is great, because I'm a perfect match. You won't mind my excessively large nose since looks are unimportant. Nor will my awkward social skills and poor sense of humor be an issue.

I am kind to animals both large and small. I remember birthdays and anniversaries. I am well educated, consistently score in the 90th percentile on standardized tests, and have a steady well paying job. I own a home in Broomfield, the epicenter of family values. There are good schools and quick driving access to Walgreens, Walmart, and Home Depot (wide parking spaces available).

If I sound like the perfect match for you (is there any doubt?), please drop me a line. I am willing to meet you for any manky paddling along the front range. And maybe, if you're lucky, this could be your last run.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #13
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Ha ha ha ...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Some of these post are really good and some are really cracking me up. I was kind of regretting making the post at all (Dana giving me shite). I think it goes to prove a few things. Human apes still exist and are fodder for the big guns. Women can and do hold their own very well on the river, regardless of the "apage" is that a word? I'm too lazy and fried to look it up. Lastly, my wife married me because I did boat and knew how to camp. The camping part was actually our first date.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #14

thats funny. It sounds like you are already well into your backup plan.

Its funny to think of a guy starting to Kayak to meet women(heh heh)

I like the idea of just buying a boat and keeping it on your car all summer(never actually using it) just for the cool factor.

As a married boater & father to 2 girls 10 & 6. I go back and forth between being an A-hole and getting my days in anyway I can and kissing my non-boating wifes butt and taking care of house duties when I have passed her breaking point.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #15
waterproof mascara

Originally Posted by mania View Post
I think we all know there are ignorant people in the world and there was no need to bring it up here.
"men are like mascara...they run at the first sign of emotion." (r u waterproof?) maybe we FEEL the NEED to talk about some of these things...
randie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #16
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thatís silly.

It is a pretty intense sport to do just to find some dude that will ignore you for 3-4 months a year. If that was their intention, I donít think they would last very long in the sport.

It is more like the girl gets a B/F to get off the market so she can just go paddling and not worry about all the other dudes.

Some girls will do it to find a guy and get married but why is that any different than any other sport. I think guys should like that fact their g/f paddles. It makes it easier to go paddling; you donít have to take "ladies days off" and if you wanna ditch them to paddle the "shit" they will probably totally understand and wont blame you. That is a pretty good deal, i would think.
"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"

CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007   #17
This is a funny topic. I think there are plenty of girls that start kayaking to meet guys or do it only because their boyfriend does. The ones that are looking for a guy that kayak are the ones that, as said before, drive around with their boats on their car and yet you never actually see them on the river. Then there are the handfull of girls that only kayak because their boyfriends do, they clearly hate the sport and are scared to death, but can't bear to tell him that she doesn't want to do it. She buys all the gear, then once they break up, you can usually find tons of new gear on craigslist for half the price.

So yes, those girls are out there, but on the other side of it there are lots of girls, with or without boyfriends that that truely paddle for themselves. Plus, if you spend enough time around guy kayakers, you know most aren't dating material anyway.
kellip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #18
Ladies want "a nice guy, an intelligent guy, and a guy that has resources to provide for a family"

KRC, you give us WAY to much credit. I dropped that kind of high quality wish list for the perfect male early on in life and have now simplified it down for the boater dirtbags that I associate with most of the time to a guy who:
  • is taller than me,
  • wears a bigger pant size than me,
  • and is a better boater than me. Or at minimum, has a better shuttle rig than me.
And damn if that third one isn't the stickler.

Funny stuff.
moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #19
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
moshe- funny you should say that about wanting a guy with a bigger shuttle rig, cause i'd settle for a boater chick with a big rack!
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #20
Columbus, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2007
The post made me laugh, because I've encountered that attitude in the other two sports I do (fencing, hockey). There are women out there who start a sport, flirt a little (with the sport and the guys who do it), get a lot of attention, and quit. And there are guys out there who are convinced no woman could truly love a sport and do it for the love of it. We must have an ulterior motive. And surely our motive is to get under Mr Studly's spray skirt and play with his paddle. *shrug* It does no good to fight that attitude. Just go do what you want. The water doesn't care what they think. Why should we?

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote