hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Nrs Boundry socks exspenive but worth it

shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #22
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
This is really bad advice. The only way to enlarge gaskets is to stretch them. Even cautious trimming can cause tearing and you're replacing gaskets before you know it...
"Neck gaskets are designed to be trimmed to fit." (not the Kokatat wrist gaskets though).
Kokatat | FAQs

You can certainly try stretching the gaskets, but they don't stretch much, in my experience. The reason gaskets have rings is for trimming. Sure, its better not to, but if the gasket is too small, and stretching efforts don't do enough after a week or two, there are not many options, if the neck gasket is choking you, or the wrist gaskets are making your hands fall asleep: sell the drysuit, or leave it in the closet; or trim the gaskets. Here is a video on trimming gaskets:

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #23
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow, thanks for great feedback guys! Very helpful.

My wife does have Kokata SuperNova dry suit, neoprene gasket is too tight on her. She still wears it, but complains about it.

We will purchase the boots you guys recommended. I found these on Amazon: NeoSport Wetsuits Explorer 5mm Explorer Boot: Clothing

Are these any good?

I will also get a few wool socks for her and I.

Thanks all for advice!

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #24
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Also, is Merino Wool socks different than wool socks you guys recommend?
Old 10-25-2011   #25
Lindon, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
If you dont mind paying $22 for socks, I received a pair of these for christmas a couple of years ago and love them. They don't itch either. I know they make a heavy weight sock as well but I've never tried them.
Midweight Merino Wool Crew Socks | Filson
Bilge Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #26
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
These socks are great for in camp, they keep my feet super warm! Check them out.... Sol Socks - Fleece flip flop socks!
GC Guide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #27
loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

We have several pairs of 'Bogs' for the family. Very nice when loading/unloading in cold weather and water. High enough they seldom get water over them but a close enough fit that splash pants pull over them easily. Haven't swam with them yet, but when I've gotten them filled with water they don't seem to hold much water. Had them for several years now and all the family members are very happy with them. Keep the fit nice and warm. My wife also uses them for muck boots during the off season.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #28
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Another thought: If your wife is like mine any sort of Christmas rafting gear is a mistake. She may love river trips, but might think of the gear as a gift for you....

I recommend jewelry and flowers, with the rafting gear as a random gift before your next trip.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #29
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have had 4 dry suits over the many years I have been boating

and lost count of the dry tops.

I have tried the stretching deal and it does not work for me, never has.

I carefully cut rings off the neck latex gaskets and very carefully cut maybe 1 / 8 inch width or less from the tapered wrist gaskets or in the old days before sewn in footies, the ankle gaskets.

I believe latex will stretch a bit and that is a good thing. I think excessive stretching is gonna stress the latex more than it designed to do and is a bad thing. Especially if you have to stretch the neck gasket a lot on a cold morning.

What has worked for me for decades is trimming for a snug but not blood constricting fit and then letting the stretch factor take over for that last little bit.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #30
The Russian
SLC, Utah
My wife recommended the boots for her for Xmas and 4" Silverback double pad for our family Xmas present. I think she is a keeper