Old 08-13-2013   #21
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
My knees are fine but I've dealt with hesitation from shoulder injuries. I took it slow, got my confidence back by paddling with a good crew, and taking it slow. It took a LOT of patience for my limitations. (A good crew is one that has each other's back, doesn't get pissed and frustrated when anyone swims, considers the safety of everyone, but also one that doesn't let you punk out on things you KNOW you are capable but are unreasonably afraid.) I think the easier you are on yourself now the better off you will be in the long run. It took about a year for me to trust my shoulder and myself.
My suggestion is to keep in mind that paddling is a personal journey, and it's supposed to be about HAVING FUN. I agree with what was said about not worrying about your ego. Maybe you were class 5 at one point but accepting current limitations is part of the game. Also protecting your knee with padding probably couldn't hurt to try and see if it does anything for your head. If you're bummin about and looking for a good read check out A Rock Warrior's Way by Arno Illgner. It's geared towards climbing but the mental training it outlines is applicable to all walks of life. Dealing with fear is something I think we all go through, and yes, I agree that it is irrational. A healthy amount of fear is necessary to not recklessly go balls to the wall, but don't make decisions based on fear, make them based on facts, and accept where you are in your paddling journey. Confidence is not cockiness. And don't forget to have fun and don't worry about what everyone else thinks of you. High school is over (and it shouldn't have mattered then either )

ApericotBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #22
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Knees and whitewater

There is substantial risk after getting a full knee replacement and going in the river. I have had both knees replaced quite successfully (the technology and technique are improving almost daily). However, one of the biggest risks is banging an artificial knee on a hard surface (like a river rock). I went tubing down the Boise with my wife and her friend and was scared to death because of the rocks. I've been whitewater rafting and kayaking (inflatable) and for some reason hadn't considered the rock threat. I am now and am looking for knee pads that wouldn't be too bulky while protecting the knee(s). Ask your orthopedic surgeon to advise you. If you need a new knee by all means get one. I'm 1 1/2 years out and loving mine -- 67 yo, golf, hiking, whitewater -- living the dream.

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #23
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
Boating is about... having fun - among other things. Boat at a level that is comfortable and fun for you. These levels change for a variety of reasons. When the time comes to step it up further you will know.
Best answer ever! wise advice
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #24
Fairplay, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Brenda, Sounds like as some have said, you have forgotten, why you paddle. You should be paddling because its fun, because it gets you outside in a beautiful place, because you enjoy the company of like minded people. Its not about river ratings and numbers. I have been paddling an open boat since the early 80s. In my prime I paddled solid class 4, due to some life choices, my opportunities to paddle decreased and I took quite a few years off, I started paddling again 3 years ago and completely enjoy class II and easy III, my goal now is to get the most out of every river mile, catch every eddy, surf every wave and arrive at the takeout, thirsty for a beer. Thats a fun day for me now, I don't need to be scared and worried about hurting myself. Discover the fun leave the fear and ego on shore.
Good luck
larryqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #25
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A few have said it but if you are worried about making an ass of yourself then you are paddling with either a bad mentality or crew.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #26
hot springs national park, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by brenda View Post
Thanks KSC. As far as phantom fears...I did paddle yesterday and chose the river according. Big swims. I think it takes losing something to really appreciate the little things.

which river is that? never been there.

did they tell you to lose some weight? I'm 280, and having a hard time just getting in a boat because I'm afraid I won't be able to get out.
hilbiliarkiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #27
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
[QUOTE=hilbiliarkiboi;347828]which river is that? never been there.

It is the Adams River in BC, Canada. Most of it is pretty easy but it has a 3+/4 canyon section that has big waves coming from all angles. Basically the whole river compresses to about 16 feet across. It is really safe - nothing to hit and if you swim you will just flush out the bottom. Definitely an adrenalin rush.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #28
hot springs national park, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1979
big water

Sounds like fun! Prep for grand canyon.

hilbiliarkiboi is offline   Reply With Quote