Old 10-14-2010   #31
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by brenda View Post
Hell on Heels...the motion sickness you get from rolling will gradually decrease. It is just like a figure skater that can spin and spin and never get dizzy. It takes practice. Your body just builds up a resistence to it.

I hope you are right! I have always been a really motion sick person. I still get really car sick even at my age and cannot play first person shooter video games at all! Maybe if I build up a resistance, I can finally join my friends who spend hours playing Call of Duty!

hell_on_heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #32
I'm fairly sure I was your instructor so you've already heard a lot of what I think. Just Kidding. Maybe. Kayaking is like learning anything else; there is absolutely no substitute for time on the water. I have some teaching experience, but more importantly I've been a learner for a while now. In terms of learning these kinesthetic skills that also have a hearty mental side there are a couple of challenges. First, whitewater doesn't really allow you to narrow your focus. Also, there are some real disincentives for poor performance. In the beginning it may be best to stay on a stretch that doesn't challenge you at all. You also may learn from teaching someone who is even more inexperienced than you. Keep the fun, heed the danger, and spend more time in the water. If you really want to improve you will. The learning curve all goes to the same place regardless of how long you spend in it.

chiefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #33
Worcestershire, Midlands, UK
I just found this thread after searching to see if motion sickness was brought up by anyone else. I'm a guy who started learning to paddle this year (I couldn't even swim until this year either so a double whammy of mind melt!)

Trouble is that while I have never been sea sick before, while learning to kayak I have been getting pretty bad motion sickness. Especially during rolling sessions. It has taken me most of this year to get my basic roll working, and the sickness has really held me back. As I mentioned, it is made worse by that fact that I never usually get motion sick on boats, which I find really weird.

Most guys I have met never seem to suffer from it or admit it (possibly the latter!)

Hell on Heels, I'd be really interested to find out what worked for you to help calm the sickness. I've tried ginger, which sometimes seems to work, but sometimes not.
SimonMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #34
Atlanta, Georgia
Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post

Hell on Heels, I'd be really interested to find out what worked for you to help calm the sickness. I've tried ginger, which sometimes seems to work, but sometimes not.
While I certainly have not completely overcome my motion sickness, there are a few things I've tried which have eased it.

-Ginger gum - for me this was more effective than gnawing on a big stringy root of ginger while paddling and is obviously much easier to carry. It has some large amount of ginger extract which is probably enough to flavor a gingerbread house metropolis. Halfway through the trip I pop a new piece in my mouth.

-Dramamine - I've tried the less drowsy kind which helps a lot, but it stays in your system for 24 hours. It makes me rather depressed or spacey the next day, but may not affect you the same way.

-Still to try - short acting Dramamine - This is the old skool kind your parents gave you to keep you quiet and zonked out for a few hours on a trip. I thought maybe my excitement while paddling would overcome any sleepiness on the trip, but have not been on the river since I acquired it.

-Less caffeine - For me, if my stomach is a little jumpy and I add the excitement of paddling, I can become more easily nauseated. Would love to find out if this is true for other sea sick people.

Acclimation - I haven't noticed it on the river yet, but I have been able to tolerate watching first person shooter games a lot better since I started the sport. They usually make me sick within 5 minutes, but now I can watch them longer. I have to think that one day that will translate into a longer period of time of practicing rolls before I exit the pool for fear of chundering all over and totally disgusting the other people in roll class who probably only come to see newbies like me fail at rolling week after week!

Please let me know if any of these things work for you. I absolutely understand your frustration because you have the mental will to practice, but your body revolts. It's hard, but try to remember that it's not a race and its supposed to be fun! Just the fact that you have learned to swim AND are kayaking means you are a 1000 times cooler than most people!
hell_on_heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010   #35
Ames, Iowa
Paddling Since: 1983
Ear plugs would probably be worth trying. Besides the whole issue of narrowing of the ear canal, some people find water of any temperature running into their ear canals to be disorienting.

If you find ear plugs helpful but decide you still want to hear stuff, Docs Pro Plugs come in a vented version which allows pretty good hearing but need fitting.

weldernot is offline   Reply With Quote