Old 09-06-2010   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I ordered William Nealy's book today off of Amazon, looking forward to getting it. Thanks much for the suggestions, much appreciated .

rivotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #12
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Hey there,
Sorry, went out of town last minute for the last couple of days...
@ rivotter- awesome! would love to go out soon! next weekend likely won't work but if you wind taking a class then I think you would find it really beneficail. I skipped into to lake (day 1) and went straight to intro to river (day 2) but if i could do it over again I wouldn't have. There's some really simple things I missed in day 1 that I am just now figuring out, like how to rotate your torso into paddle strokes, that I would really have benefited from in the long run had I not skipped day 1.
Defintely go to the lake and paddle around! Just make sure you know how to get skirt off and do a wet exit first. Most people find that they flip over just paddling on flat water in the beginning. Also, for your'll probably wind up working on it for awhile and will likely not be able to on your first runs. no worries, swimming is a part of it and your paddling buddies should expect that and be willing to help you out with your self rescues. While I roll well in flat water, I've got a develpoing "combat" roll and still swim sometimes too. I know everyone has been throwing alot of books at ya and I'm going to add on to that. I would really reccomend the library. I got some great dvd's there like paddling basics (body positioning, paddlle strokes) and rolling (The kayak roll learn it! tune it! teach it!) most helpful thing i've done for my roll but it teaches the sweep roll so maybe do some research and see what type of roll you'ld like to learn.

green.zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #13
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
@ gingergoose7 - Hi there, sounds great! Left you a VM earlier. Would love to get out this week and find some good spots...getting the low flow blues.
green.zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Ah, what a good idea, I didn't think about videos! Thank you for the suggestion! Will go get some and start learning. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
rivotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
If your in Fort Collins, get on the Poudre, there are still sections that are runnable. The water is half a foot up since Friday!

If nothing else, find a comfortable wave on one of the runnable sections and practice eddy turns, ferry's, different types of surfing, rolls, and wet exits.

Depending on the water level, I would consider going Saturday morning.
brandon.vanderkolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #16
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Send a message via Yahoo to shesthewind
Hello, hit me up if you want to meet at some pool sessions or floats this spring, I also need to find some kayak buddies..Thanks!
shesthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #17
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
There are Tons of books out there, someone mentioned the bible. Which is the Whitewater of the southern Rockies (New Testament) and then there is the Colorado Rivers and Creeks (old Testament) if you will. These will help give you great info about your local rivers. Another option is the The Ultimate Guide to Whitewater Kayaking Book. We have movie options as well. You mentioned some lady paddling groups too. During Paddle Fest May 27-30th will have female paddling classes. Also our sister company Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center Does women only Paddling class to. May be a great way to check out the scene and get involved more.

ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote