Old 03-26-2012   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I didn't even know this was an issue, I would never ask for compensation. The cost of a trip should be split between everyone (it depends on the group if beer and other intoxicants are a part of the trip costs). Even day trips on the animas I ask everyone to pitch in for gas and beer and of course I make them work etc. No one gets a free ride, but I don't benefit in way excpet for spending time with great people having great fun. I do think its wrong to ask for any sort of compensation outside of this, though I wouldn't mind if a buddy picked up an extra 30 pack because he/she was feeling friendly. P.S. Those animals sure do look tasty slave

Ykbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #12
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
yeah, i don't take straight cash from friends and family that come on my trips, for sure. however,on bigger ,multi-day trips with them, i don't feel guilty one bit though if they want to pitch in for my gas, bush flight's share, dinners,shuttle costs,lodging,ect. i spend allot of time planning/logistics, getting difficult permits, rowing them on $6k+ worth of rafting gear they didn't pay for, rowing through rapids they often don't have the skills to run themselves, often having to drive long distances with my raft when they can just fly in and be picked up by me at the airport,the inevitable extra work that goes with it being your rig: before the trip,on the river and after the trip,ect. all they usually have to do is show up and have fun. it seems balanced and fair to me, honestly though goes against the law of the land on permitted rivers.

i'm by no means an ass about it but if someone can't even out the load abit and show some appreciation for the work i do to make the trip happen then it may be awhile before they get their next invite.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #13
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I agree with posters about sharing costs for trips. I am speaking of taking people on a day run. Sometimes friends invite their friends and they often feel obligated to offer/give cash when they see the commercials running. I do not take it. I've read on here and heard some boaters say that getting compensated for the depreciation of gear is acceptable. That's cool, I just don't feel right about it. I have a set of paddles and PFD's for enough people to paddle raft for day trips. I like the group runs. I do it for myself as much as for others. On the day runs I do share fuel expenses. I buy the lunch because I like to entertain but I accept sharing of anything offered that I like...even Early Times which, on one trip turned me into a pirate....Argh!
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #14
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Additionally, I always promote the commercial guys. They offer a great trip, always are helpful on the river, and as stated previously do so much for the rivers and the sport....
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #15
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Here's a question for you guys - Have you ever had a stranger offer cash for a raft trip at the put in?

I'd never had that happen until July last summer, when I was approached by a guy at the Stone Bridge put in, rod in hand on the ark offering $50 for a float. He said he wanted to go on a float fishing trip but the commercial trips were "all booked up".

I told him no, mentioned that float fishing trips go for a whole lot more, and left with the sneaking suspicion that this was a sting being put on by AHRA to snag illegal outfitting.

The whole thing was a bit odd.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #16
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Hey, If it makes my friends happy who am I to say no. Its not like anyone is ever going actually offer me more than the actual ture cost of the float anyway. When I do the math I got an easy $100 a float into gear alone. Whats the difference in taking $20 of gas, $20 in beer, or $20 cash.. NOTHING! Now take $20 in weed is streight up illegal! but anyway, one just makes you "think" your more ethical. Many outfitters work deals as well and trade goods and services other than cash.

Cash, trade, goods, or services its all the same. Cash is just more liquidable..
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #17
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
On a day trip people usually volunteer to pay some money. I'll tell them to donate to the life jacket fund, because that's the piece of gear that they use. They can see that the pfd's I give them are fairly new, not deteriorated.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #18
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Beer is not the same. When I go to a friends house for an evening I bring some drinks. Not as an attempt to pay for part of the house, but as a means to provide something that everyone that night can enjoy. Same for boating. Adding to the groups experience is always welcome. We all bring what we can. Money is different, because if you bring beer and have leftovers you are more than welcome to take it home. Money only benefits the recipients after the trip and only the recipients. That's a big difference in my mind. Gas is a cost everyone can share relatively equally, and it's a basic per trip cost, unlike large pieces of gear.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #19
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Usually on my raft the deal is I bring the raft and frame or paddles and PFD's and the passengers bring lunch and beer/drinks. No $$ and we all pitch in loading and unloading.
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #20
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
What if money is the only thing the poor sole has to contribute to the group experience?? Say everyone else brought beer and food and gas. Nothing is needed. So, to the guy who has cash. Do you really say keep your money and maybe now the guy feels like a "freeloader" and by "donating" to the PFD fund is the way for him to share with the group... and feel part of the team. Beer = money. Money = beer. We all contribute in our own way. Does everyone really need to stop at the store before we hit the river?

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote