Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 11-02-2010   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
One of my favorite parts about the river is it provides me with abiding metaphors for daily life each time I'm floating. One of the biggest ones for me is to set up early and always be looking downstream. I hate being surprised by anything big or dangerous; this applies to the river as well as life.

Another big one is 'don't get cocky, kid.' My life has shown me that the minute I think I'm dialed in, the rug gets yanked out from under. Same thing applies to the river. The minute I think I'm running well, Claire flips my boat two days in a row or I swim surfing a tiny wave on Bridges.

Great post ladies. Have fun on the Cat.

SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #12
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Funny I sent this to a non-yaker yesterday to try and explain what kayaking means to me. The first paragraph is R.W. Emmerson. The 3rd is my interpretation of how Emmerson's passage relates to us crazy kayakers! Well at least this crazy kayaker. You can't deny the somewhat masochistic relationship we all have with the river!
What we are, that only can we see. It shall answer the endless inquiry of the intellect, What is truth? and of the affections, What is good? by yielding itself passive to the educated Will. Then shall come to pass what my poet said; "Nature is not fixed but fluid. Spirit alters, moulds, makes it. The immobility or bruteness of nature, is the absence of spirit; to pure spirit, it is fluid, it is volatile, it is obedient. Every spirit builds itself a house; and beyond its house a world; and beyond its world, a heaven. Know then, that the world exists for you. For you is the phenomenon perfect. Build, therefore, your own world. So shall we come to look at the world with new eyes.
Reread the above and try to understand how by kayaking we transcend into nature! Seriously…really focus on our spirit. It will be difficult since you only yaked once though. Then you can read below!

Thus we as a human transcend and become within the definition of Nature! To obtain (transcend our pure spirit into Nature) pure spirit in kayaking is to tame the chaotic beast of Nature, which is our self! Realize that ourselves are not fixed but fluid. It takes a very unique mentality. A mentality in which you HAVE no choice but to challenge your mortality (i.e., your absence of spirit) to prove you have the right to live daily. What is truth and good of nature? We must accept the affections (be they positive or negative) of the river and yield ourselves passive to its educated will. Ask any kayaker…the river has a will and if you try to be more than a passive participant of its will then you will not last! Yet to the pure spirit the river is fluid and volatile yet based on our transcendence into, obedient! Trust me…you will never bond with some non-kayaker like you will with a paddling, or climbing partner.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #13
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
Yin and yang...

Kayaking is actually the complement to my everyday life... conservative career choice, financial decisions (but for my gear habit), etc... there aren't very many CPA kayakers out there! The river is my escape. Watching the clock for the next departure now!

I am also a CPA kayaker, I fully agree about it being the yang to my career. Although, my attention to detail, and tendency to be a little OCD has let itself to trip planning quite well.

I love this sport for many reasons, but when I am on the water nothing else exists but what is between the shores and as far forward as I can see. The river like life never stops moving and you can never go back, all you have is where you are and where you can get to from here.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by Fallingup View Post
Good stuff people!!!

"take me to the river" I am launching at cataract with you guys next week! Super excited to make that trip, it will be great to meet you too!

Yee-haw! I'm excited too, especially to be going back to Cataract- it's been 5 years since I was there.
It'll be good to meet you... good times... who says boating season's over? SYOTR
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #15
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I am amazed by the fact that I can boat these same rivers over and over, and probably never encounter the same drop of water twice. The water cycle, it's amazing what it does for us.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #16
Durango/Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My life and boating are both influenced by the axiom “you can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you” because of the complete and utter variability in how life works, no matter how similar things may appear on the surface, they're never quite the same.

Kayaking also helped push me into what I am presently studying in school, environmental engineering, because I've started worrying about the quality of the water that we dunk ourselves in when there are so many things being dumped into it from so many point and non-point sources.
li'l_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #17
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Not a kayaker- but a rafter. Being on the river has made me focus on what's important in my life.

For example, I have very catty, holier than thou neighbors. Red wine drinking snobs. Being on the river reminds me that the opinions of narrow minded individuals isn't something I should seek- rather to look at the big picture instead. Life can be one grand adventure- or it can be a dark tunnel where the only focus is trying to be "better than everyone else".

The river reminds me of which route I should take.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #18
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by Kendi View Post
For example, I have very catty, holier than thou neighbors. Red wine drinking snobs.

What's wrong with drinking wine (as long as it's from a box...)?
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #19
West slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: day1
"going with plan B"
thank god
West Slope Or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #20
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Originally Posted by briandburns View Post
What's wrong with drinking wine (as long as it's from a box...)?
Brian- you know I love your boxed red wine. Hells Bells- I'll even bring that instead of cookies next time if you want!

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote