Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 06-16-2011   #11
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
This doesn't really work either. Ideally you'd have a fly in your undergarments (you still have to be able to pull them down in the front), and the zip is too high to really get the job done without a mess. I don't use mine except for venting air.
I have not had this experience. Four years with a front zip dry suit and the FUD, no issues. Fleece layers with elastic waist or a dedicated drysuit liner (I have a bunny suit that has a two way zipper) and access is fairly easy.

Remember to keep the zippers lubricated. The Tzip that they give you with the suits doesn't work that well. I have had to have a friend help me unzip to pee. I was told the recommended product is bee's wax.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #12
Summit County, Colorado
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
This doesn't really work either. Ideally you'd have a fly in your undergarments (you still have to be able to pull them down in the front), and the zip is too high to really get the job done without a mess. I don't use mine except for venting air.
I haven't had this problem either, even with several layers on. My Shewee has an extension hose, so maybe that's why.

summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Dang, what is my problem? I find the FUD type device I use just kinks and is a real pain in the you-know-what. I used it a couple of times and just gave up. My drysuit is OS, maybe the placement or fabric or something is different.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #14
OlyPen, Washington
I opted for Kokatat's "lowered men's relief zip" on my 2nd drysuit, instead of the standard half-moon butt zip. I figured the bulk of the zipper would really, really bug me by digging into my hip bone or something.

I asked other female kayakers for input, and about half preferred each type of zip! But the women who tended to be skinny for their height seemed to prefer the lowered men's relief zip. A Kokatat rep told me that if the suit fits very well, the half-moon zip will not be felt. But if the suit is too large (as in very baggy in the butt), it can become uncomfortable.

I did not have any pee zip on my first drysuit (which was a Stohlquist men's Small) so anything was an improvement. But I'm happy with my men's-style relief zip and don't regret making that choice (which was a custom order, BTW).

One thing that might cause trouble is if you get an actual men's suit, the height of the pee zip might be too high. Try it on and pretend you have a FUD; see if it would work for you. If not, you should get a suit (male or female) specifically with the LOWERED men's relief zip.

The fit of the men's Stohlquist was pretty good in the bottom half (they're cut slimmer than the men's Kokatat) but torso was long for me. It didn't matter in the boat but when walking, my pant legs tended to sag because the waist was also a bit big.

The fit of the women's Kokatat isn't quite right, either, but acceptable. The butt is baggier than it needs to be but, again, it's not a problem.

Definitely go for the Gore-tex if you can afford it. Well worth the extra bucks for reducing dampness inside. You'll still be sweaty where the Gore-tex is covered: PFD, gaskets, sprayskirt tunnel. The rest of the body will be nice and dry.
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #15
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
ok- I know this is an old thread. But I'm looking for any updated advice on preferences. I'm hoping to upgrade my drysuit this winter. I'm looking at Kokotat and I want the gortex w/ socks of course but I'm waffling between the lowered front zip or the dropseat. I'm a rafter so the dropseat isn't an issue hitting the sides of a kayak, but that aside is it the best way to go? I'm not really keen on carrying a funnel with me everywhere either.

I'm also 5' 8" and at the upper limit of a size "large" measurement wise in one area. So should I order a size up so I have more wiggle room? I'm currently in a Kokotat T3 women's basic drysuit and pulling the thing on over certain areas with layers on is pain in the arse. Thoughts?
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #16
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
O.k. this is the womens forum, but I have 3 dry suits. At times I work in them for extended periods a couple weeks at a time for a job. The one I always pull first has a relief zipper, no matter if you are a guy or girl, it sucks shedding the suit to take a piss, and the only suit you will want to never use again is the one that is too small that you can't get enough layers under for what ever conditions you are in. If in doubt go bigger. I normally wear a large, but one of my suites is XXL which I use winter snorking when the air temp is 20 degrees, It don't feel too big, just throw on a belt. I get that thing on with a pair of long johns and heavy fleece pants, on top some times a long john top, fleece and carhart jacket underneath, seriously. My favorite suit is a Coast Gaurd rescue swimmer suite that a budy of mine gave me (one of his old ones), altough the orange and blue is kind of not that appealing to the eye
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #17
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use the Kokotat Super Nova suit with the mega butt zipper. I'm also a rafter, so the butt zip doesn't bother me. I've never tried a front relief/FUD so I can't comment on that, but the butt zip is plenty big enough to maneuver your under layers fairly easily for a pee break. Not perfect mind you, but not that bad. Unzipping seems to be pretty easy, but sometimes I need some assistance from a friend to zip me back up. As for size, if you are at the top of the size range for a large, go bigger.
The biggest help I had when I bought my suit was from the gal at kayak academy. She is great, a wealth of information & super nice. Kayak Academy | The Elite School For Kayakers And The Kayak Gear Store With Everything You Need

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote