Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 04-19-2013   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Finally got gear~now I need boater friends!

I've done a bit of paddling back East but not having gear has limited me all these years. I moved back to Colorado last Spring and finally this year bit the bullet and bought some gear. Now I need to find some paddling buddies, as I have none out here : (. I'm not familiar with the rivers out here at all but excited to explore. I'm comfortable in up to Class III, maybe some easy Class IV. Give me a shout if interested in some river trips!

skimoore55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
One way to meet other boaters is to join a club. If you're a kayaker, I'd suggest Colorado Whitewater Colorado Whitewater - Home.

If you're a rafter, I'd suggest High Country River Rafters High Country River Rafters - Home Page.

xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #3
Denver, Colorado

Really?? No one wants to be my friend? I can certainly check into whitewater associations and meetups but was hoping there were groups that coordinate on this forum like they do back east on boatertalk. Oh well. And to be more specific, I'm looking for whitewater kayaking pals. Hope to hear from someone...
Old 04-22-2013   #4
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Hey, Ski. Don't take it personal. The difference between CO and back east is the seasonal nature of our boating. There will be more people into boating when the season starts! Not much traffic on the Betty forum now, check out the trip planner in a week or two when the water starts coming up.

Clubs and classes will be a good way to meet up. There will be river festivals in season also and hanging out at your local play park is a good way to hook up also. There is a pp in Golden. Have fun! We have some great rivers. L.

Oh, there may be roll practice at local pools. Good way to brush up and also meet kayakers.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #5
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Once the ark starts flowing just head up and camp out for a weekend you will meet some folks.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Hey skimoore55,
I'm living in Denver and looking for paddling buddies as well. I'm pretty much a noob, but I like class 3's and can swim with the best of them. Nothing is really running yet but should be soon. Let me know if you want to meet up and paddle sometime.
justin_CO_kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013   #7
Kayak & SUP Lessons
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Check out our site

If you find yourself in Durango, we would love to help you develop your skills as well as some healthy river relationships. We are all about making new friends while we teach good skill sets for technique as well as safety. surfthesanjuans.com -
SSJ LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #8
Denver, Colorado

Thanks y'all! Glad my plea resonated with some : ). Justin, let's definitely meet up sometime--I am quite rusty and def need to brush up on my skills. Up to Class III would be perfect! Shoot me a message with your contact info!

Old 04-24-2013   #9
Well if you want to get into it gradually and are up for some class II, we usually run pumphouse several times a month. We bring a raft and do lunch on the river. I'll raft or SUP. Kind of a slow pace bec. there may be some fishing from the raft if the conditions are right.....
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #10
The Poudre has lots of excellent class III sections and is very accesible from Denver. It also has one of the best snowpacks in the state this year. If you can make it up to the canyon after work or on any weekend day you will find tons of people who would love to boat with you.

You will find most people interested in class III at bridges take out, a big parking lot about 4 miles into the canyon. Bridges is a fun and relatively safe section that is runnable at lower levels than the other sections of the canyon. It's a great place to get a feel for the nature of the river, and to see if you want to step it up to the more challenging runs up stream.

There is no accurate cfs gauge for the Poudre, and everything is based on the river level at a marker rock. You can sign up for daily rock reports at poudrerockreport.com. 1.5' is about as low as most people will go on the bridges section, at 2.5' all of the class III sections from Steven's Gulch Down are good to go, and at 3.5' and above everything starts to get really good and the upper canyon runs (Rustic runs) are worth a trip. In my opinion, more water is always better on the Poudre.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote