Old 02-12-2012   #51
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Great to see the update. This has the potential of becoming an annual event for you and your kids. Lots of great rivers across the country. From my experience nothing builds a stronger connection with your kids than quality time spent in the outdoors.

Perhaps if more parents took their kids camping and boating instead to Disney and the mall we would have a better society.

Take lots of pictures and if so inclined post up the one with the biggest smiles. The only thing I enjoy more than a good day on the river is seeing that "aha" moment on the face of someone on the river for the first time. That is magic pure and simple.

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #52
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Beware of the canoe tripping. Your children might grow up to be kayakers or worse raft guides!

Lookout for Hawaiian shirts, Chaco sandals and large bar tabs.

Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #53
Toronto, Canada
Paddling Since: 20
ha ha ha, right, for sure !
Greg Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #54
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I am so glad that you chose to go rafting. As a guy that has grown up on the river. It has given me some of the best moments of my life with family and friends. I am now a guide on the river I grew up on. It is so cool to see family's actually spend time with each other with no video games or cell phones. It's the way family time should be. I hope that this becomes a yearly thing for you and your kids. Hope to see you on the rogue river someday.
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #55
Toronto, Canada

I would love to raft in Oregon sometime.
Oregon is my favourite state and I have vacationed there a number of times.
Old 02-21-2012   #56
Toronto, Canada
Anyone need a vehicle driven from Denver to Vernal, Utah around Jun 28th.

I checked car rentals from Denver to Salt Lake City and it's crazy what they want with drop off fees !
Old 02-21-2012   #57
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
YOu should probably start a new thread with that as the title, to draw more attention to it vs the original discussion of this thread.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #58
Hey Greg, if you are looking for some more rafting adventures on your way from Denver to Vernal, they do day-trips down clear creek (basically right beside I-70 as you are driving West - 1 hr from the DEN airport). Also you can head towards Buena Vista for a day or two of rafting Browns canyon. It will be 1.5 hours out of your way from I-70, but well worth it!!! There is also good camping and hiking in the Buena Vista area, so worth staying a few days if you have the time. As you continue West, I believe there is also rafting opportunities in the Vail area that may be worth checking out. If your son is too young for the clear creek/Brown's/Vail area, then head over to the upper Colorado (Pumphouse) - it is pretty mellow in comparison but still fun and scenic. It is about 1 hour out of your way driving North from Silverthorn and there is cheap camping at the put-in. If you continue driving to hwy 40 then it is right on your way to Vernal! Look for rafting companies in Kremmling, Co. You will have to do a little internet research as far as the map and rafting companies.

And I think you've made a good decision on Lodore. It is one of my favorite river trips.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #59
Toronto, Canada
Hey, thanks for all the info on other rafting along the way Jennifer.
Rafting is going to be one of the main activities on our trip but we are doing others.

We are driving from Denver to Moab with an overnight in Grand Junction.
Then hiking around the Moab area. Up to Vernal for our rafting and visiting Dinosaur National Monument (my son loves dinosaur fossils).
Then over to Salt Lake City and the Salt Flats.
Old 03-11-2012   #60
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Hi Greg, I have paddled quite a bit around CO and UT. I think a good place to look for like-minded individuals (with whom you could participate on a private trip) is I am *not* suggesting you hire one of these people - that is illegal (as stated above). But there are groups out there who are excited about sharing their love of river running with new people and would enjoy having "newbies" on a trip. Every trip I have been on through these groups is cost- and work-sharing, just so you know. For example, the Western Slope Adventures Group (on Meetup) is a *very* active group, and you might be able to go with them. Actually, they are planning a Labyrinth Canyon trip on April 6, 2012. You could post your own trip through them, and see if anyone would be able to join you.

lchastai is offline   Reply With Quote