Old 09-04-2008   #31
eagle county, Colorado
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I've had some girlfriends that cried after sex. But the only time they cried on the river they were usually screaming "I AM TRYING YOU ASSHOLE" Either way I take full blame.

she a speaka da truf , it works better crying on the river and then have a roll in da grass lata

dougiefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #32
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If swimming scares you I would definately say take a couple lessons if you think that will help. I am a strong swimmer but when I first started boating I would freak when I found myself out of my boat.

One thing that really helped me was going to the Golden playpark and just swimming it. My friend and I went there a couple of times and hopped in with our lifejackets and skirts on and just swam to the baseball field a couple of times. It was actually pretty fun and funny because kayakers were trying to help us the whole time not realizing that we were doing it on purpose! Anyway, practicing swimming in the river in a controlled atmosphere helped me. . give it a try and look luck!

KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #33
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I also recommend taking a whitewater rescue course. My husband is not the most comfortable swimmer, and we are taking a class in 2 weeks. I am hopeful that it will give him some confidence, that if something ever does happen, he'll know what to do. Not just know it in his mind, but in his body, having performed many of the "rescues" before. I believe we also practice some defensive swimming, which would probably also give you some confidence that you've practiced.

It's totally natural to feel afraid of what you aren't comfortable with. Just like in boating, one way to get past it is to get some training so you have help stepping through what you need to learn.

good luck, it's fun going downriver!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #34
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
looks like part 1 in in Nov/Dec of 2007.

Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
Go here for the 2008 AW Issues:

American Whitewater - JournalYearBrowsing

You're looking for "Fear in Whitewater" Parts I, II, and III which are in the Jan/Feb, March/Apr, and May/Jun issues, respectively. Excellent reading.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #35
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I totally lost it 4 years ago in lime creek in Durango. We had a mandatory portage up a steep cliff. The guys were cool with it because they climb, but I don't climb and am afraid of heights. I spent 20 minutes looking at the river-wide strainer and bawling my eyes out, trying to pick a line under the tree to swim, rather than climbing that cliff. I finally climbed the cliff, but wow did I feel pathetic. I was dehydrated from so many tears.

Have you considered sticking to class III and not trying to paddle harder stuff? You can challenge yourself with class V moves in class II-III WW, and not have to worry about the consequences of harder stuff. Some of the best river-runners learned their skills by paddling slalom in class II bec. that is all they have, and they become solid class V boaters that way.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #36
A tear for eddy

I normally wouldn't chime in but I took a bit of joy in the fact that I often hear the song "A Tear For Eddy" by WEEN during boating. I found the title(there are no lyrics) appropriate to this thread, the melody soothing to my paddling and the combined effect of title/topic/tune made me giggle.

Jackie Treehorn

PS hear the song if you haven't...seriously
chiefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #37
Anchorage, Alaska
I definitely know how you feel. Haha, sometimes I would just sit there on the side of the river... for over an hour.... just sitting. I would be petrified to peel out of the eddy and get going. I hopped in my first boat back in December '07. And I tried to get out on the river as much as I could this summer, but I was definitely having my issues. I've definitely gotten angry and cried while paddling. But keep it up... you'll end up loving it, I learned to once I was running some sweet stuff!

Good luck!!!

GAgirlgoneCO is offline   Reply With Quote