Old 05-09-2012   #1
Eagle, Colorado

Ok, this is kind of a frivolous question, but...
Anyone have a recommendation for a good leave in bio-degradable conditioner? I usually am not overly concerned about my hair but I've got a couple longer trips on the horizon and feel that my typical Dr. Bronners shampoo every few days is not going to cut it.
Any suggestions?

mommydevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #2
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978

Not sure on the conditioner brand, but a good leave no trace practice is to put water in a bucket, go away from the river so the conditioner doesnt run back in and condition and rinse there.
With high silt particulate rivers, it's acceptable to wash in the river; however, on clear and more pristine water, away from the water.

DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #3
Summit County, and Idaho
I use Umbertos dry shampoo when I am on the river or camping. Its a spray-on powder. You apply at the root,then brush it out. It smells great, it absorbs oil, and you can go a week without washing your hair the conventional way and you would never know.
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #4
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Crazy as it sounds you make a paste out of Baking soda and rub it in your roots really good and it takes all the oil out, rinse and then put some apple cider vinegar mixed with water on the ends. If too dry which is a problem in the canyon Argan Oil from Morocco. The stuff is gold. I have really curly long hair and a quarter size of the oil and I can get a pick through it on my worst days. Works on dry hair too. I get mine on ebay. It's great for dry skin too.
If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Not biodegradable, but I use a product called Gentle Rain. It's used in hospitals for body and hair washing and it's super gentle on skin. I use it for hair and body, and it's the only thing I've found that doesn't dry my hair out without a conditioner. Pleasant smell and leaves the skin moisturized. Very reasonable price and you can order it online with free shipping. Gentle Rain extra mild.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #6
Shampoo is better I go on first and clean the hair
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #7
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #8
Eagle, Colorado
I have used that dry shampoo, doesn't quite make my hair feel clean, helps with the greasy though, usually do that for a couple days and then wash every third or fourth. I bought some spray in detangler, I'll let y'all know how that works out!
mommydevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #9
Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
Oh really fool...........really.........stop looking at me swan.....
Bluefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #10
Missoula, Montana
Bacon grease should keep your hair nice and lubed, but your grease bombs will suffer

MT_ZOO is offline   Reply With Quote