Old 02-02-2007   #1
cold hands?

any girls out there know of a good set of gloves that let you feel like you are still in control of your paddle? I'm tired of my freezing hands, but I haven't found ones with any kind of good grip.... Poagies just seem to fill with water, so they only keep of the cold until the first rapid is over. My hands are sort of regular size- not particularly small or anything. Thanks!

danceronhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #2
Steamboat/Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I am all about the pogies (neoprene, nrs). I play boat in them all spring and my hands are cold at first, but they seem to hold the water inside fairly warm. I think gloves are colder, and have a heck of a time holding onto my paddle. Us girls have smaller hands, which makes the glove factor harder. I thought about getting the nrs mitts recently. I ski in mits, so figured it would also be warmer. Any comments about neoprene mittens?

ripdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I, too, like pogies (not a lady though, sorry). Have you tried those pogies that flip out to be long enough to go like halfway up your arm? Slipping in and out of them quickly is a challenge but I found that less water got in those than the pogies that just go to the wrist. I've heard great things about the ToasterMits.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #4
Chota used to make a neoprine mitten with a hole cut out on the palm. I got teased a lot for wearing them, but man I loved those things. I lost one recently, and tried pogies, which I think are kind of a pain in the ass. I'm always putting on/taking off my nose plug so for that reason I just don't like 'em. The mittens allow you to take your hand out of the hole when you want to, and the palm is still grippy while your hands stay warm. I tried to find them last summer to replace my lost one, and couldn't. But if they are still being made, I think they are worth a try.
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #5
I have slightly poor circulation to my hands and my hands are always cold so I definitely needed something to paddle in CO. Pogies freak me out- too confining (don't ask...). I use the NRS Navigator gloves and love them. I had tried other gloves but the grip was not good enough on the paddle. The Navigator gloves have a great solid grip- now it feels weird to paddle without them.
WW Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Another vote for the gloves listed above... Warm and you can still feel your paddle (and grab loop). I hated pogies. I do have a friend that wears gloves & pogies at the same time... haven't tried it, but she swears by it.

lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #7
one pair ordered from CKS- thanks for all the help!

danceronhooves is offline   Reply With Quote