Old 05-06-2008   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Burn VS. Hero VS. Ammo

Hello there. Would the Pyranha Burn or the new Jackson Hero be a better boat for a 5'8" 145 lb. female who is just beginning in the sport? Maybe the Pyranha Ammo? Whatcha think? Many thanks! Marcelle

marcellern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #2
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Personally I love Jackson's because they are so much easier to roll. I have a superEZ which I can roll but the jackson's built in thigh/knee holds give you way more contact with the boat.

This is my 2nd season, 1st in a hard boat and I have a deposit down on a Hero because it's awesome.

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #3
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I am 140 and 5'10" and I have a burn. Most people I teach and put on moving water for the first time use it. I'ts easy to roll...although I already knew how to roll when I got it so that may matter. Handles lines well and turns easily. So +1 for the Burn. Thats my 2 pennies.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Try all three

Well I demoed all three and bought the Ammo (medium). I'm 5'9" and 150. I was looking for a boat for high water and nothing more than class IV and something that would allow me on some creeks.

I agree that the Hero's outfitting allows for immediate great contact with the boat, but I didn't like the way the boat handled.

I paddled the Burn (small) on the Upper Gauley and felt immediately comfortable in the boat, but it seemed sluggish. I was later told that I should have been in the Medium and probably my weight was too far back.

I don't like the outfitting in the Ammo, but bought it anyway. My reasoning was that I wanted an alternative to a play boat (kingpin), but wanted an easy transition between boats. I have paddled it twice since the purchase and may end up with a better opinion later in the season.

Having said all that, I wish I had tried the medium Burn before laying down the cash, but then that's just me always second guessing.
SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Vote for the Burn

I fell in love with the Hero at the pool. Super easy to roll, great outfitting... but then I demo'd it and wasn't so in love any more. I found a great deal on a M Burn and bought it w/o a demo b/c I knew I could sell it for what I had in it. I really like it so far, just need to work with the outfitting a bit. I lifted the seat by an inch or so and need to pad out the knees. I'm 5'8", 32" inseam and about 155-160 w/my winter weight. My playboat is a Fun. I bought the Burn for tougher class IV.

Sue - you can try out the M Burn anytime you want. Still need to hear all about Chile!
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Way to find the deals!!

Laurie, way to go finding the used boats. I am more comfortable just adding scratches to a used boat. Probably the price tag has something to do with that.

Chile was awesome! I walked the class V, but loved the III/IV Futa. On subject with this thread, I paddled a Liquid Logic Remix. Hands down the best outfitting of the boats I've tried. I liked the speed of that boat and considered purchasing one. I was looking for something that was bit more of a creeker without the full committment of one.
SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #7
St. Louis, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2005
5'2" and 125 Burn small works for me. Fast, makes tight eddy turns and easy to boof. Had to tweak my roll to reach more to the side because the paddler's chest+ women's PFD with all the bulk in front+ implosion bar+ high deck threw me off at first, but it is easy to roll once you know that. Also moving from a star to the burn required some refinement of ferrying techniques that oldtimers would be acustomed to already. Otherwise I moved from class 3 play rivers (Ocoee) to class 4 creeks in a weekend with this boat. (Then again maybe being 25 pounds overweight for my star was holding me back
Tracy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #8
asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1997
Burn or Ammo

Longer boats seem easier to roll. They don't swirl around as much when you are setting up. The Ammo is an awesome boat if you already have a good roll and you already know you like paddling something with a shorter bow because of its ease of manueverability. Stable, but you gotta know those edges. It forces you to learn good boat control, which is good, but be ready to do some rolling as a first boat. Really fun for paddling aggressively, surfing, spinning, and crazy stuff like looping HUGE, and freewheels. Also fun for familiar runs, grabbing tight eddies, like a play boat with some body armor.
The Burn makes it easier to route through whitewater and roll. And has a dynamic design with softer edges, that makes it easy to drive and accelerate through rapids, rather than just float through. Which can be really important when you are trying to get to where you need to be in whitewater. Good example is the Pine Creek rapid on the Arkansas in Colorado. You like those edges when you skirt past that bad boy!
Your height and weight, Medium Burn. AND I paddle Medium Burn on everything and I weigh 145 5'4'' and put a little foam under my seat. When you outfit the boat try to imagine paddling and keeping your elbows from hitting the cockpit rim and your knees up past the thigh braces. Hope this helps.
Team Pyranha Blog
demshitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #9
If the burn wins the competition you might want to buy a used H3 (the boat the burn replaced) I currently own both the differences are small and apparent only to an advanced paddler,
as a beginner you will never be able to tell the difference. Sizing is the exact same and you should be able to pick up a used primo one for about $400.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #10
Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The Burn is your best choice... You will love this boat.
I would go medium if you are running higher volume stuff mostly and want to have the space for overnight gear, or small if you are running low volume/day trip stuff.
Its an amazing design, great company.

adrock is offline   Reply With Quote