Old 10-18-2006   #11
pnw, Washington
I will check it out and thanks for all the info. I just didnt want to be giving bad advice and creating a bad experience for ladies when they got started. I agree with the river runner theory. I hate putting people into a playboat type to start with. Its very easy to add a playboat later on to compliment your river runner.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #12
bum, Colorado
boat choices

you really can't beat an innazone. It's an all around boat for beginner all the way to advanced. I have paddled this boat for years, and still do when the water gets pretty big. I'm in an ezg 42 now, but I don't think I'll give up my innazone.

ntibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #13
I'm 5'2 and low cockpit height together with appropriate volume are the most important assets (esp for a playboat) that I look for in a boat. I constantly feel like the cockpit rim is up in my armpits in bigger boats. Having lower profile deck/cockpit gives much more leverage and feeling of control. I haven’t owned a river runner since my pirouette S a long time ago, but boats I’ve owned and enjoyed are as follows (the stars are the best ones):
S6 (great for the smaller paddler in squirrely water, I usually paddle an S6 when travelling/renting a boat)
Pocket rocket

Still in the trusty Java

Boats are just getting better and better for smaller paddlers so there’s lots more to choose from. Definitely the Jackson series are high on the list!
mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #14
jackson not for beginners

I completely agree with the above posts that the fun series is really not for a beginner paddler- it is a small boat, no doubt!! Stable, but still really small and more playboat-ish. My first boat was a dagger infrared, which suited me well... then a pyranha inazone, which really is a great beginner boat... then the siren- definitely not a beginner boat, though I have seen lots of shops put small women in them because they are designed for women. the siren was so slicey, and i've seen one particular beginner gal get really discouraged with being upside down in it all the time!

And yes, i have the sweet cheeks and really love that feature, though i haven't tried to use it to pump me up to sit higher, i just like the mold-to-your-very-own-butt feel.
nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #15
Thanks for the advice all. Nicole, I'm definitely going to demo one. I too desire that "mold-your-own-butt feel". Never had one, but by the sound, I think I'd like that as well.

Kim, if I'm not mistaken, the Trigger is more of a river-runner than I'm looking for. I have a Lil Joe for big stuff and plain ole enjoying the float, and though I haven't used it in two years, I really like it and its a great boat. I really like to play on the way down the river. Thanks for the offer to demo though.

Off to look for my last issue of Session. Thanks all.

Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #16
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I am 5'4" and mostly legs. I too have had trouble with the torso thing and currently paddle a project 45. I had to get used to it (like anything) but I love it and would recommend it. I feel comfortable running class IV in it, but can still throw it around a bit.

conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote