Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 04-13-2009   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
best spot to nail down your combat roll

So, i'm sorry to say that although i've been paddling a couple years- my combat roll is pretty shaky in whitewater. I've paddled class IV and cleaned it- but only because i didn't flip. My issue is time. I do fisheries work in the field all season and find myself only paddling a few days here and there. I get back to CO in may and have a week before i have to start work- so...

Where is the best place to hang out by myself for a few days and nail-down my combat roll? October Hole? Steamboat? Salida? Any suggestions on how to get over this hump in the learning curve is appreciated.

sunnyjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
in the river.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado

Long time no see...how have you been, is the Yampa going well?

You know the best things about rafts...when they flip over you dont even have to roll them back up...you can just hop on top.

But in all seriousness for some reason I have decided to try and get back into a hard boat and would love to go out and practice some combat rolls. Depending on the flows in the Poudre we could do some training up there...Filter Plant/Bridges laps and flip over all the time (probably not going to be an issue for me )

Let me know when you are in Foco and we can meet up and swap some stories
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #4
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Where do you live? A great place is Do-it-again rapid on the Upper Colorado (the last rapid before state bridge). It doesn't have a ton of current, but there is a huge eddy on the left that you can easily and very safely swim into and then paddle back up and enter again and again. You probably would have to flip on purpose there, but it does give you the push of some current and is a very safe and easy place to go and you can spend all the time you need there.
KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
hey buddy! Yeah, that is one reason why i love rafting too (and the beer-drinking aspect). But i'll be back May 15th- just in time for H4tH at the Mish!!!!!! Glad to hear you want to get back into kayaking and i would love to paddle with you. I really think a just need several days on the river making myself tip over in whitewater. Can't wait to see ya! I missed everyone this winter.
Old 04-13-2009   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
in the river.
hey thanks great advice. the point was I don't want to do class III river runs by myself so I was looking for a play hole or something of that nature.
Old 04-13-2009   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think great practice for combat rolls is to practice stern squirting (or any other type of playboating). You are going to flip a ton, but you won't be anticipating it. I spent a lot of time at Golden doing this a few years ago and it helped a lot.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Although I hate saying it go to a play park and playboat, there is always people at them to help you grab your stuff if you swim and you will flip a lot forcing you to roll.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
thanks for the ideas folks. can't wait to get back to the mainland for some paddling!
Old 04-16-2009   #10
Anchorage, Alaska
Hey Sunny!

I got my first on Filter Plant, I ran it enough times where I was getting cocky, and then Mike told me to follow him and took me into this "hole" and I flipped right over. Got my first CR there, and the confidence exploded from that point on.

The good thing about FP and Bridges is that they are both in the backyard and you can easily make it up for a quickie on evening even. I would say a play park, but for some reason, I still can't seem to get the balls to get into a hole even though I have my roll.

Good luck though. See you next month.

Kayaking when its flowing... skiing when it's snowing
GAgirlgoneCO is offline   Reply With Quote