Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 04-16-2009   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
play park, play park, play park. There's nothing thats a more comfortable setting. If you can roll up in a hole, you should be solid anywhere. Let me know when you're in town and I can go to the lyons play park with you, if you'd like. You'll get it! Just keep pluggin!

jballen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #12
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
...best place VS best training....

...a better way to look at your situation is...."why do i miss my roll"?...most people miss rolls because they do not roll with the current....they high-float because the current has already TRIED to help them up..they just refuse and they tend to go right-side...then another right-side attempt...do you only turn right when you ski? thought so... do you only turn left when you ski?...thought so... do yourself a FAVOR and learn to roll with the current....go into a river left eddy, let it flip you and then try a left side roll(current will help you)...then go out of the river left eddy and let the current flip you..then bang out another left side roll....that easy...go into a river right eddy and let the eddy flip you ....then try a right sided roll...go out into the current, let it flip you then try a right sided roll....get the picture???? soon you will realize(young grasshopper) that if your right shoulder is touching the water first(on a tip over) that you should try a left handed roll...even if you roll sucks the current will do it's best to assist you....and soon whenever your left shoulder is going to touch water first...you must try a right handed roll first....and as you know...if you miss one side you are already set up for the other side...the time it takes to reset for the same side roll is plenty of time to try 2 other rolls...always left then right or right then left...do you use left strokes and right strokes on the water?...thought so....why change that program just because you are upside down?....pull left...pull right...etc....i was showed this by a young gun 12 years ago...he was already a heady duty little mofo....then one can try squirting on the eddy lines....same thing applies....if you go out into the current(river left eddy) and apply a left handed "pry"..one can the use the "pullover stroke" (right handed) to speed the flip up..and then use a left handed roll next thing you know you are pulling off "screw-ups"....and the boys will be knocking down your door...this is a very easy method of learning how to use the current to roll up...it was flipping you in the first place right?...thought so....if it is enough to flip you ...it must be enough to flip you back up...just try the rolls....and always remember...think up/be up......do good, try hard....."one must think... before he moves".....JUNIORranger420CB....

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #13
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Bomber roll

I always find going into a play park when it is crankin gets me going. Particularly with the hand roll. generally you exit upside down every time and then are forced to hand roll utilizing the current. This skill lhas come in handy on a couple occaisions when a paddle has broken or been ripped from my hands.

Good luck
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #14
steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Try stern squirting in an eddy line first. This helped me alot because you flip but dont allways see it coming. It allows helps you learn to roll in current outside of a rapid. It also helps to count to three before making your first roll attempt. When learning this is important because you will make sure you are all the way upside down before trying to roll. Last thing, if you dont make the first roll, try again.
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #15
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo

...i have to disagree with striker...why wait....it's like waiting to put in a crucial forward stroke or something...the more you wait the further off line you become..not a problem in most places but a bad habit to get into..the paddle strokes should never stop....waitng just means you're high-floating...which a master will roll up off a low brace if high-floating....it takes one second to roll...3 seconds means 3 attempts could be made...make sense?....thought so....if you want to practice holding your breath do that in an eddy...or better yet try to bang out as many rolls on one breath...then your confidence will grow knowing you busted out X number of rolls on one breath so in a time of need you know what you can endure... used to make my students bust out 10 rolls on a breath....their confidence soared once on the river....sorry stiker i get your point but waiting just leads to trouble...one does not need to time it with high-low points in a wave train either....pull right then left and you'll be up if you don't lift your head............milo
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #16
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I like what milo had to say, and It made sense. I am trying both sides this year, every other, wtf do I have to loose, I swam every rapid in the state last year.....
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009   #17
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
There's this great hill in my back yard. You can get in your boat and roll all the way down it. Any hill will do really. It's good to have someone do shuttle for you aas I find myself a bit disheveled after a quick little session
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #18
Salida, Colorado
Eddies garage north of Dotsero on the CO. You can park there all day!
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #19
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
pull right, pull left?

Milo--do you just mean if you try on one side and it doesn't work try the other?
KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #20
Also, a good place to is in a big hole at a play park. You are disoriented, but it's safe.

The eddies at Union Creek on the South Platte are tough when it's running.

I actually found confluence on the South Platte to be a good place because the pools are so small. You have to roll quick or you are going down the next drop. It's also a bit of a squirly place.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote