Old 05-07-2010   #21
Summit County, and Idaho
Thanks to everyone for posting such good info. All very helpful for someone just getting back into paddling after too much time off!

Still no playboat.....but a couple of days ago demoed a Project in Avon. Really liked it a lot, think I may go with this when I am ready to be upside down in my boat a lot! Lots of people I have talked to really like the Project's too.

Tried the new Molan.. liked this one, but didn't fit me like the project did. Did not take this in the pool, only sat in. Lots of talk about these boats, good reviews. So maybe I need to try it in the water!

Never had the chance to get into a Star, but heard so many good things about these too. I will try one just to be sure before buying though.

Since I'm doing a lot of river running this year, I upgraded to a new river runner instead of splurging on the playboat.

Kudos to Matti Wade @ Ten Mile Creek Kayaks, he sat me up with a Wavesport Fuse that is super hot. He did a great job outfitting it for me, and helped me break it in at the pool to make sure it fit me well. Anyone looking for new gear, or advice should pay him a visit. He is a really great shop owner!

Thanks again for the input..

See ya on the River soon enough!

Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010   #22
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Just thought I'd add my playboat question to the thread.... I'm looking to get into more playboating and looking for a (used) playboat. I'm ~5'8" and anywhere between 140 & 150 lbs. It seems like I'm on the high weight range for small sized boats (Jackson star & Project 45) and the low weight range for medium boats (Jackson all star & Project 52). What would you recommend? Thanks!

rivermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #23
Ames, Iowa
Paddling Since: 1983
If by getting "into more playboating," you mean vertical moves (cartwheels, squirts, etc.) and especially if you want to include vertical moves on flatwater, then being at or over the top end of the suggested weight range is an advantage. This is not necessarily true for loops which require a certain volume of air filled boat relative to paddler weight for adequate "pop." Of course, if you can't bow stall a boat, then "pop" is irrelevant because you won't be flatwater looping. Paddling whitewater in playboats in which you are at or over the suggested high end of the weight range easily leads to punishment for poor playboater posture, poor technique, or inadequate attention. Additionally, if you have to move the seat too far back in the boat because of leg length and foot size, throwing the boat down to a bow stall will become more difficult because of the location of the majority of your weigth relative to the prefered pivot point for the boat.

At 5'4" and 140lbs, I play in an EZG42 (42 gallons) which I can flatwater cartwheel and which I enjoy using as a river runner as well as a park and play boat. I also have and like a Siren (40 gallons) which I would be surprised if someone 5'8" could fit in comfortably (unless your legs are pretty short for your height). Hull design matters as much as boat volume; I can throw down my EZG42 a bit easier than my Siren despite its 2 gallons greater displacement.

From my experience, if flatwater vertical capability is desired at 140 to 150lbs, I would suggest definitely staying under 50 gallons and probably even 45 gallons and under. I would also suggest looking at boats 25 inches wide or less (emphasis towards less). Besides the EZG42, I have spent some time messing about in a Kingpin 6.2, in a Vision 44, in a Skip, in an EZ, and in a Chronic. I didn't find the Vision 44 (44 galllons) or Skip (39 gallons) as easy to stern squirt as the Siren or EZG42 (I think more of a volume distribution effect rather than a total volume issue). At 47 gallons, I find the Chronic requires more muscle to double pump down than I care for and the EZ is just not going to happen. While I can throw down the Kingpin 6.2, I don't happen to like it's volume distribution for handling nor its leg positions for my comfort.

For foot and leg space, I think the Chronic, Project 45, Vision 44, 4twenty (small - 46 gallons), and Kingpin may offer more than the EZG42 and certainly than the Siren. I don't have foot space experience with the Jackson boats. I also don't currently have experience with the Fluid Nemesis (44 gallons), but it also looks like it might be a boat to consider at 140 to 150lbs.
weldernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #24
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I just got a star which is awesome and very tiny...low volume. I think this years star is a little higher volume esp in the stern. Its kicking my ass and I love it very squirrely compared to my g-ride 6.2 which is much bigger, but this makes it so much nicer in a hole and for play!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010   #25
I have a 2007 Star I'd be interesed in selling if anyone is looking. Boat is located in Fort collins and is in good condition and setup with foam (not a fan of happy feet etc.) for 5'2" boater. Price is negotiable. Eventually I'll get it posted in the swap section with phots but I've been to busy. Send me a private message if itnerested.
ldebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #26
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via Skype™ to nckayakgrrl
i love my kingpin. duct tape and aqua seal will fix the leaks, great big water play- throws wave wheels like a dream. i'm five foot six and 135 and paddle a 6.2
nckayakgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #27
Summit County, and Idaho
Originally Posted by chepora View Post
Its kicking my ass and I love it!
Nicely put!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #28
hanover, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
I'm a little surprised no ones mentioned it, I have a small crazy 88 and love it. I think it's similar to the kingpin. I use it mostly for river running and find it's really easy to roll, but it is definitely a playboat. The club at my school has one and its the favourite among a lot of girls
kateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010   #29
Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hi, I boat in an Agent 6.0 and love it: Had a Kingpin as well, the Agent is much drier and a bit smaller so that's a plus and I believe to be an upgrade from the Kingpin.
Gazelleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #30
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
if you are a smaller girl, i would recommend a jackson fun in one of the smaller sizes. i have a jackson 1.5 and it is great! super easy to throw around even if you don't weigh a ton.

katealta is offline   Reply With Quote