Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 04-13-2011   #1
Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Hi all, I am new to this sport, my husband and I have a raft, but I am really interested in learning to kayak. I am hoping for some good suggestions! I am 5' 105lbs. I am looking for something that I could learn to play around in as well as run rivers in! I have been looking at getting the Jackson fun 2, but not settled yet, as I think I might be to small for it?? Also I am looking for some family rafters that like to get out on the river with their kiddo's I have three kids, two boys one 7 and the other 4 and I have a little girl who is 16 months!
Thanks for any help!

Svadhisthana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #2
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
I like that youre looking to buy a product make in the good old us of a. The fun2 would make a fine choice. A fun3 would be easier to learn in and resale. If your not totally into surfing I'd think about a Hero. They front surf and spin real nice plus they are very stable and run ANYTHING well. Also, the resale appeal is better with the "standard" size models. Its just harder to move a Little Hero or Super Hero vs a std hero. Samething goes for the funs. ppl buy the fun1 for kids. But the fun2 seems to get skipped for the fun3 and the 4fun is a bit on the big side. I boat a Hero on everything.. except when surfing. Then I pull out the play boat. (project 52) I just think the Hero is an awsome boat that most ppl can jump in and have a good time. enjoy

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #3
Paddling Since: 1993
My wife is your size and she paddles the 2 fun and really likes it. Sure its a bit big for flatwater cartwheels but as a river running playboat, its probably the best.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #4
Thank you!!
Old 04-14-2011   #5
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I just started boating a few weeks ago and got the wave sport diesel 60. I'm 5' also, 110, and it fits great!
malberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #6
OlyPen, Washington
Just so you know, Jackson makes a Fun 1.5 that might work for your needs. You should sit in one, at the very least, to rule out fit problems. I'm just under 5'3" 105 lbs and I thought the Fun 1.5 fit uncomfortably even on the shop floor. It is designed for kids, not adult women, so the numbers given on their website won't tell you enough.

The 2 Fun was just "2 BIG" overall. All the adult WW boats I tried felt like wide barges/barrels to me, forcing me to splay legs out to the sides too much to make contact with the thigh braces.

I also tried a Liquid Logic Remix 47 that seemed OK on the shop floor but pressed my hips at two points when I gave it an initial flat-water test. Noticed the discomfort after only a few minutes of paddling.

I ended up buying a Jackson Side Kick. This is NOT the same as the Little Hero though they look somewhat similar--the Side Kick is narrower and lower as well as shorter. While it is not a playboat, I just wanted something to practice basic WW skills with, and it does fine for that. I imagine it will be easy to sell if I ever want to...lots of kids around.
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #7
hanover, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
I paddled a 2Fun (which I think is the same as the Fun2, but I'm not sure) for a while and I loved it. Thought it was pretty forgiving to roll. I'm 5'5" and it was a good size.
kateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #8
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I also learned in a 2Fun. An absolutely great boat. I am 5'5".
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #9
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ten Mile Creek Kayaks...

There a quite few options, for you the Wave Sport 48 Fuse or 60 Diesel are both great. The Fuse will give you more play and the Diesel more stability and quicker confidence running big class water. Also I have two 35 Fuse's in stock witch would be a great boat for the kids and can not bet the price. Super cool looking Red, White and Blue like a Rocket Pop... They are little bigger than the 1.5 Fun and also more stable. There are also USA made and there is some great info online.

Fuse - Wave Sport Kayaks

Another American made option is a Crossover, something for flat water and river that has storage capacity. The Liquiddlogic Remix XP 9-10, is one of my best selling boats. Supper stable easy to roll and can do over nighters with ease. Also when there are those times of lake or Reservoir paddling excels there to with a drop down skag. Nice to have that options here in Colorado, specially in Steamboat when the river runs to low.

Liquidlogic Kayaks

Any questions feel free to call TMCK, would be happy to have a opportunity to help you out.

Frisco Kayaks, Demos, Lessons, Kayaking and Rafting Gear

Keep The Hairy Side Up.....
TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011   #10
Wow thank you so much for the info!!!