Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 04-19-2011   #11
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm your size , 5' 102 lbs. The fun 2 won't be too small for you, it'll be too big if anything, I've never actually paddled that boat, but it feels big on dry land. I have paddled the1.5 and that too small, very tippy especially for a beginner.

I paddle the Star which is more of a river runner that a play boat on me, but I can surf it great just can't throw it around and I feel comfortable in it in class 3. I also paddle the Little Hero. That would be the boat that I'd recommend for just starting out, but still wanting to surf a little. You'll feel comfortable going down rivers in it and would be fine in it if you decide to step it up a bit too. Plus, the Little Hero is now considered a kids boat so it's cheaper! The Diesel 60 might be a good choice too, just not as familiar with it.

sglass123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #12
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
If you're thinking of a Fun series you should also demo the Wavesport Fuse. I've owned both, paddled em on many of the save rivers, and IMHO the Fuse is a superior boat for a number of reasons.

Of course your mileage may vary. Good luck in your search.

Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #13
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm about your size and I'm in a Jackson Sidekick. I love it, but I don't do much playboating. I tried a 2Fun a while ago, but just couldn't get comfortable. I'd say the Fun 1.5 or the Sidekick would be great boats to demo.
Another great option would be a Wavesport Siren if you can find one. I had one for many years and sold it. Kinda wish I'd kept it. It got a bad rap, but I still think it's a great boat to learn in and you could probably pick one up really cheap. (I'm probably going to catch hell, but you might just love that boat. I did).

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #14
ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
hey Svadhisthana, Sounds like you got some great boat advice! & I wanted to invite you on over to the River Mamma's Thread! I started it a few years ago, & it has ebbed & flowed as all things do... but got a recent bump & has been alive & well again! Have fun out there on the water! (in your own boat & with your kids!)

Journeys of a River Mamma Blog "Ever onward, ever forward, ever down the River!"- Ed Abbey
RiverMamma is offline   Reply With Quote