Old 05-16-2012   #81
Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I was thinking about just "free sleeping". Since we don't go to bed at 7 it will be interesting to see where he ends up within the tent boundaries! He used to sleep so well next to us but now mom and dad= play time. We'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the help!

ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #82
Billings, Montana
River Dad here. Just took my 2 year old on her 1st float on Sunday. It was only 3 miles, but she did good. I have a smith permit for this weekend, but the weather looks questionable. The smith is a super easy 59 mile float, but I'm pretty nervous about taking my little girl on a long float. I guided and swam the Upper Gauley for 5 years commercially and didn't think twice about it. I actually liked the carnage (in safe places) and it increased my tips. Completely different story with the kiddo though. Glad to see others are taking there little ones on the river. Safety 1st!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1146729030.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	4703

jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #83
Try it next weekend on the Ark!

Ritatheraft ! We are rolling two packnplays now- the extra gear has somehow not been too bad even at huts. it sure is nice to roll into a beach, pop the rascal in there and set up camp and chilll while they play in the diaper and quickly fall asleep under a sunshade. I am amazed how they never treat this arrangement any different than at home. If it's between 30- 60 F we use a makeshift sleeping bag for night - it is a snow suit with the hood cut off, the arms intact and the legs opened and sewed together like a bag. It has worked out for us. I sleep so sound that i fear squishing my younguns on the rio and i dont share paco's very well. But Yup, we roll with a 6 person tent now too. rad.
telegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #84
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by RiverMamma View Post
Hey gals, I have been a boater my whole life & reciently became a mom! I have stumbled across a few other boater moms, & would Love to connect with more! It's great to have friends you can connect with on many levels...
Hi Rivermom! I'm also a boater mom. Just delivered my third child this spring. He's now 3.5 months old and it's time momma got out and did some paddling. Have to have the family nearby since I'm nursing, but would love to hang at the lake, go run something, or hang out and play with the kids. Hit me up!
boaterchic610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #85
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
Just came back from a trip to the Nantahala river in N.C with the grand kids and friends . Ready to go to the Ark in Colo over the 4th of july .
We will be there at ruby mt for a week . Any one up for a big get to gether at BV park some evening over the 4th ?? My grand kids will be there and plus lots of other Kids
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #86
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
So glad I found this forum! I'm a long time river runner and a new momma looking for other families to play on the river with Question: When did you first take your little ones rafting! Mine is 7 months and I'm thinking it's time to get him on the water. Also, any recommendations for infant PFDs? Anyone have a used one they want to sell? Last year rivers were too high here inColorado to float while pregnant, this year it's going to be a challenge to to find any with enough water. Momma needs some river time!
Mountainchick76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #87
ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
Yay Mountainchick76!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of being a River Mamma!!! So I first took my daughter down stream at 13 months, but I just did a float with a friend & her 5 month old, have also seen some recent pictures of a 7mo old & a ONE month old out on their first float trips!!!!! As far as when & where you take your little one for their first time, I think that just boils down to your gut instinct & your comfort zone. & hey, bare bones low is waaay better than raging high water for the little ones!
Journeys of a River Mamma Blog "Ever onward, ever forward, ever down the River!"- Ed Abbey
RiverMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #88
welcome mountainchick76! we are in evergreen and get out quite a bit with kids and without. we've got a 6 month old and a 2.5 year old. give a call or pm!

any approved neoprene pfd with leg strap, head rest, and zipper + buckles does well for us anyway- for example check the connely wakeboard one (CWB neo infant vest). we have found the neoprene is the most tolerated (vs nylon) and having the buckle around the waste in addition to the zipper is huge. i am returning the stolquist nemo - it doesn't float my kids on their back as well as others and comes off to easily - a few weeks ago, on the boat my 2.5 year old reached over and in a second had my sons stolquist nemo pfd completely unzipped and wide open....yikes. no buckle around the chest on that one.
telegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012   #89
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Any of you ladies near Golden?

I am thinking *way* ahead - I would love to raft with some of you ladies and kiddos in the next few years. I have twin 12 year old boys, and I just started rafting about 2 years ago. I've taken my boys on the Arkansas, down Westwater, and this year we all three did the San Juan for a week in May (*fantastic*) (and I am rowing my own boat down the Grand come Sept 13th! Woohoo!)

I'd love for some of use to get together and do a "permit party" this fall. I don't foresee doing much more rafting this summer with the abysmal water flows (besides, I am using all my vacation days on the grand). It is different when you raft with primarily families vs a trip with primarily adults, and then one person brings her kids, you know?

Besides, I'd love to meet up after work with some new ladies anyway! Especially ladies who want to get outside. Many of my friends are my kids' friend's parents, but not many of those ladies are really outside-oriented, you know? And many of my friends from work are guys (I'm a geologist - a pretty male-dominated career) so that can be awkward with my husband. Anyone up for a backpacking weekend?

I am happy to organize something if anyone wants to get together. I live and work in Golden... Anyone interested?
lchastai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #90
Steamboat springs, Colorado
Advice is needed

Okay river moms. I'd like to ask for some advice. I am 5 months pregnant and am considering going on a WestWater trip at the end of April. Does anyone have any advice in regards to rafting while pregnant?

I've had a really healthy pregnancy and have remained super active. I've been a guide for 5 years and have rowed WestWater before. I obviously wouldn't be rowing this time and would just be a passenger. My boyfriend would be rowing and he's been a guide for 10 years. I am considering walking around Scull Rapid and maybe Sock-it-to-me, but I almost think the hike would be more difficult. With our current snowpack being as low as it is, I don't think the flows of WestWater will be super high.

The river trip is with the rafting company I work for and there will be three EMT certified guides on the trip.

Kate.Colo is offline   Reply With Quote