Old 03-11-2013   #91
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
My wife will tell you "don't do a nice class II when you're 8 months pregnant and with a 20month old on your lap...during the toddler's nap time"

You will have no lap and the toddler will have no patience!

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #92
Amy T
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by Kate.Colo View Post
Okay river moms. I'd like to ask for some advice. I am 5 months pregnant and am considering going on a WestWater trip at the end of April. Does anyone have any advice in regards to rafting while pregnant?

I've had a really healthy pregnancy and have remained super active. I've been a guide for 5 years and have rowed WestWater before. I obviously wouldn't be rowing this time and would just be a passenger. My boyfriend would be rowing and he's been a guide for 10 years. I am considering walking around Scull Rapid and maybe Sock-it-to-me, but I almost think the hike would be more difficult. With our current snowpack being as low as it is, I don't think the flows of WestWater will be super high.

The river trip is with the rafting company I work for and there will be three EMT certified guides on the trip.

Hi, I am an OB GYN in summit county so I get asked these questions a lot. Worst case scenario would be getting bounced out of the boat, hitting your belly, and losing the pregnancy. Sorry to be blunt but that's the risk. As I had another client say, low probability high consequences. Your spontaneous labor risk at 5 mos is pretty low. Good luck!

Amy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #93
ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
Hi Kate.Colo! So I worked browns canyon (class III) every day all through my first trimester, and my best friend floated the Truckee (class I) as much as she could during her 3rd trimester. I met Telegirl rigging her raft at stone bridge with a big belly (not sure exactly what month at) to run a class II section of the Ark a few years back. So I am going to say YES! Give that baby his/her first few River miles in utero!

All of the aforementioned bellies are now accomplished little River Kids! (Mine turns 5 tomorrow & has almost 400 [out of utero] River miles under her belt!) I'd also say that you're probably right about hiking being worse than running the rapids. The main concern with boating pregnant is the possibility of taking an oar to the belly, but if your not the one rowing & you trust him at the oars, then I'd say stay on the boat & run it!

Also, welcome to the wonderful world of Mommyhood! Congratulations! And yay for another new boater being born! If you do the facebook thing, I'd like to invite you to join a fantastic group called River Mammas that is a great source for all things River & kid related, & just a fantastic community of boating parents!

Journeys of a River Mamma Blog "Ever onward, ever forward, ever down the River!"- Ed Abbey
RiverMamma is offline   Reply With Quote