Old 02-21-2011   #21
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ok, I'll be the first of the five!
Zodi makes a stainless steel version that you can put right on the blaster.
As soon as you hit camp, put a dark 5 gallon jug in the sun for preheat.
I've got the Zodi extreme described above and it works pretty good. Except the heater they supply is only 10000btuh so it takes a long time to heat if you have a bunch of people cycling it.

You might want to preheat the water in a bucket while using the water up to temp. or use some other blaster for heating the water. Make sure you heat it with the plunger out ....

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #22
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
I've got the Zodi extreme described above and it works pretty good. Except the heater they supply is only 10000btuh so it takes a long time to heat if you have a bunch of people cycling it.

You might want to preheat the water in a bucket while using the water up to temp. or use some other blaster for heating the water. Make sure you heat it with the plunger out ....

Solar preheat! Anybody know how many btu a blaster is?

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #23
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
bring lots of extra batteries and memory cards for her camera. Warm bag, paco pad, dry tent, some books, sun screen. Warm dry river clothes (lots of extra) solar shower spare tp for her personal use. binoculars are nice.
tell her not to forget to have fun and laugh at the partents
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #24
Summit County, and Idaho
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
A few things I have found to be key:

1. Take care of hands and feet every night. Get some heavy duty balms/creams. Cracks are not fun!
2. Double bag your sleeping bag and a set of warm clothes because you never know what can happen... every flip I've seen has resulted in wet gear.
3. Get a guidebook for just her so she can follow along and be part of the logistical process.
4. A sarong is a great thing to bring. Makes changing/bathing more discrete and is comfy to put on after getting off the boat.
5. A FUD (Sani-Fem Freshette Feminine Urinary Director at is great for using 'the facilities' too. I wouldn't be caught on a trip without mine!
6. Something to spice up room temperature water (Emergen-C, fruity herbal teas, etc.) and drink lots of water.
Couldnt have said it better myself! Especially, the sarong! Also I suggest having her practice using the "go-girl or FUD " at home till she feel comfortable, it can be a little intimidating at first!

Keep snacks handy, magazines & books all close at hand!

And...props to you dad for caring!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #25
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
I bet she'll have a great time, I did my first grand at 16 and it was one of the best experiences of my teenage years.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #26
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
If she's going with experienced boaters, I'm sure you will make sure she has all the necessities. The two things for the Grand that I found absolutely essential were:
Lotion: pack what you think you'll need, then double it- some of us were actually trading beer for lotion by the end.
Personal time: books, magazines, crossword puzzle, journal- whatever she does when she wants to be alone, because no matter how much you love your crew, downtime for personal reflection is essential in the Canyon.
Either way, I'm sure she will love it.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #27
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Well.......some good stuff in here. No age has been mentioned and that's probably safer. For my daughters and wife 6, 9 and never mind - I heat water for them to get a nice face wash ( or more ) in the morning. Doesn't take much to heat a gallon of water and grab a stainless bowl to get freshened up.

Cotton is king. After spending days in nylon and quick dry stuff I love to put on nice, dry cotton at night. Weather depending of course.

Bedding. I love to have a flannel sheet over my thermarest. Seems to keep the sand from puddling under my hips and shoulders. I also indulge myself with a paco pad, then an uninflated therma, then the sheet. And I take a thinner regular sized pillow. Screw those tiny ones and stuffing your fleece in a bag. I bring a raft, so I can bring these things.

Bring moleskin for chafe spots on feet etc. I bring a hundred flexible fabric bandages too. They work almost as well as moleskin.

Some warm slip on booties would be pretty awesome. Not river booties but thick insulated ones of some kind. Or something like Uggs for quick night time wanderings.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #28
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Ditto what the dog says. A REAL pillow, she'll be thankful. Get a small compression sack and it will be easy to pack.

My skin hates my paco pad vinyl, I do both a pad (thin fleece blanket) and then a sheet over that if it is warm enough I won't be in a sleeping bag.
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #29
ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
A wetsuit and booties every day mandatory with a light rainsuit to keep the splash off. Keep comfy. You can always take it off but you can't put on if you don't have it.
Educate and engage on the geologic journey and the flora and fauna, the tides of the river,and anything else pertinent. Stars, clean camping, rigging, rowing, scouting.
Keep a small day pack available for short,quick hikes during daytime to break the boat time up. Don't sleep in- up at first light. You can enjoy the view of the inside of your tent in your back yard, so get up and see it. Get some on ya. I took mine down Cat @ 35K and had a great time @ 13 yrs old... she rowed, hiked, helped scout until the Big Drops when she went with me to #1 and turned back to the boat because she later told me "Dad, I don't like it when I can FEEL it in my feet on shore".I Don't blame her. You won't see anything like that - but likely 12- 16K at high tide. Explain that to her. And why you might wait to run Walt.,Hance, or Duebendorf till high tide. Engage, Educate, and be curious.
thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #30
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My list of must haves...... solar shower & small folding bucket for cleaning up, Gentle Rain shampoo & body wash, a small mirror, a decent pillow, lots of lotion, a good headlamp with extra batteries & a second headlamp for back-up, several books (I now take my Nook), some playing cards, my I-pod, Crocs for camp, I sleep on a roll-a-cot with a thermarest, several hats & bandanas, a sturdy camp chair, bike gloves & work gloves, some guidebooks on flora & fauna, and most important a good attitude.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote