Old 06-30-2007   #1
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
The Mountain Shop is calling it quits

Well, After 36 years, Matt & Dan have called it quits. After the reality of internet and big box competition, we just haven't the will to continue on.

The shop has served as a community hub to the outdoor enthusiasts that live in northern Colorado. We are sorry to see this part of the world not have a specialty climbing and skiing shop, but such is life.

Everything in the store will be marked down to 20% (starting today)and some stuff (such as skis) are at 40-50% off. We have had a good run at it and we enjoyed serving you for the past three and half decades.

jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007   #2

Sniff!

I ran into Robin and Darrin last nite and they told me the news...so sad to hear. Lots of good friendships formed and good times had around that shop. My days spent in the dungeon with Shane and Ron were some of the best, for sure.

Big thanks to Dan and Matt for bringing so much to the outdoor community of the Fort over the years! I'm sorry to see it end. And I'll definitely miss seeing all of you mtn shop clowns in one place...I guess there will always be Tuesday at the Trailhead...

xoxo,
Hol

holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #3
OC-1 disciple

Fort Collins, Colorado
life, death, and the Shop

Absolutely Holley!

You and Frenchy are definitely the strong part of the frame work that made the shop the "shop." I think your right, we need to find a new edifice that will serve as a continued community anchor, TH sounds like just the place.

On another note, I remember the days of hot little Holley Zadeh the ski tech, mmmm the way you handled the drill and jigs..... Ooops, sorry Frenchy!

Ciao!
jonas_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #4

This sucks, who will I bring all my broken gear back to. Seriously, so much for customer service when you can only buy on the web. I'm guilty of looking for good deals on the web, but I alway came back to the Mtn. Shop. Some people may remember the Mtn. Shop way back to Phil, Steve, David, Ian etc...... Damn I spent a lot there! Good luck to everyone.
Old 07-02-2007   #5

Indian Hills
This is going to open a void in the Ft collins community and outdoor market. Now all we have is RMA (Blaaa) for paddle gear.
The workers are great but the owner is not one of us. He's only about the doe ray me . Is this the way it has to be to make it around here?
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I spent one year at CSU as a newb boater back in '93. I had just come off my first season guiding on the Ark and was super pumped for as many low water Bridges runs as I could muster. Matt took me up there with his crew a bunch of times and I had some of my most memorable breakthroughs. Great guy and a great shop that had a big influence on my paddling despite my short time there. Thanks and good luck going forward.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #7

It’s a huge bummer. Sad to see them close. It’s a gaping hole in the community. Lots of friends there and more then one beer drank while talking with the staff.

Not to mention there is no backcountry ski shop in town now.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007   #8

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I remember the Mountain Shop from WAY back. I worked at Colorado Outdoors and my friend Troy worked there. We were in competition back then (1982-1984). Colorado Outdoors went out opf business in 84. Sad to see the " mom and pop" fading away!
G

ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote