Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Mountain Buzz Community > Buzz Announcements

Old 12-18-2007   #11

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Mining in Crested Butte

Let me begin by indicating I have a interest in this issue.

To Yeti,

I agree with your arguements and will add that the average miner will bring something else to the table. Stable high wage jobs. Look a the environmental controls in place. Look at those planned and decide if you feel there is threat to the water shed. Look at the regulatory hurdles a mine must over come to open today. This is not something that would happen under any grandfather clause, but is instead a new project that wiould hae full oversight on all areas. I don't think anyone with hthe state or feds would want a significant issue under their watch in crested butte.

Finally follow the money. The oposition groups are not a bunch of local trust funders riding their bikes through town. That may be their vocal front line, but follow the money.

I recognize their are two sides to this. I can rip apart my arguments as many of you will. I'd rather have the mining taking place here, where th companies are under full oversight of our regulatory agencies than in China or South America, where the environment and workers will be exploited. In the end, I think this will all end up in the courts

Old 12-18-2007   #12

I don't know about you, but I definitely use metal on a daily basis. I'm happy that there will be decent paying jobs that allow non-trustafarians to achieve the American dream of relative prosperity and happiness. I care deeply about the environment, i.e. I drive a hybrid car to conserve oil and recycle about 1/3 of my garbage. I also believe that mining can be done in a responsible manner which protects our environment. I don't know the specifics of the mine, but I definitely try to avoid "not in my backyard syndrome". Keep an educated and open mind.

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #13

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
mine

the mine would be beneficial to your economy so stop b****ing especially when they give free hand outs for your park.

are you against oil companies? if so where did your boat come from?

r you going to slap the hand the feeds you or shake it?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #14

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for your responses so far

Well, I must say that there is some emotion in these responses; which is to be expected with such a contentious issue. This IS the dilema, whether or not to associate the festival with such an issue.

AND-to be clear-I see both sides of the arguement very clearly and have a good deal of ambivalence towards the issue myself. I just don't want the WW Festival to be an event that divides the community and leaves some feeling like they can't attend because of moral objections. (For me it's not as easy as pigeonholing them as wanna be hippies and keeping them away from the festival-I don't feel that's anyone's place). It seems there's already enough reasons for people not to come. Is the (relatively small) sponsorship worth that potential price? For me these festivals are more about unifying the paddling community in a common love and reverence for our rivers rather than splitting them around other (albeit signifigant) issues.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
mtnlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #15

No more yuppies in the mountains!!

I would rather have Miners taking over the mountain towns verses the neve ending flood of second home owners.. Yuppies see kayaking and back country skiing as reckless and lawless activities!!!
The fact to the matter is; that when mining was the number one industries in the mountains every employee made enough money to send their kids off to college and to buy a home. Only the top 5% of America is benefiting off the ski area's. So in the Ski towns you have the top 5% of America, the second home owners, and the soon to be replaced by illegal immigrants [ski bum/kayker/rafter/naturalist/common middle class worker folk]. So why not allow mining back in to the main stream to take back the mountain towns to the fun wild lawlessness communities that they used to be!!!

The ski industries want you to believe that they are good for the environment, They are not!!
Save an elk shoot a developer!!!
I said I wanted cows not condos!!!

Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote