View Poll Results: Should we have Rafting and Kayak specific forums?
Yes, Separate Kayaking and Rafting So It's Easier to Filter Discussions. 135 63.68%
No, Keep all the discussions in the Boater's Forum. 77 36.32%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013   #1

Somewhere on, Earth
Should we have raft and kayak specific forums?

This topic has been brought up various times over the years but the amount of rafting discussions has increased so we felt it was time to bring it up again and let the members decide with a poll. Basically, we have the Boater's Forum which is the main kayaking & rafting forum as well as other forums like Gear Talk where rafting and kayaking gear are discussed. The issue is that the rafting discussions have swelled in recent years and it's becoming increasingly difficult to see the kayaking discussions quickly. An example of this is in the Gear Talk section which the majority of the discussions are now rafting related, take a look here.

We have several tools we can use to filter/group discussions, the most obvious is having a forum specifically for a topic but we can also use other things called thread prefixes and tags. The issue with the latter two is that, when viewed from the smart phone apps, the prefixes and filters don't work.

That being said I'd like to suggest we consider changing the setup to the following:
  • General Whitewater (not specific to Kayaking or Rafting)
  • Kayaking Forum (Kayak specific thread prefixes to filter gear related discussions and other topics)
  • Rafting Forum (Rafting specific thread prefixes to filter gear related discussions and other topics)
With the above structure all the Rafting related discussions would be grouped together and when viewing from the website you could filter to view the discussions to see only those related to gear, etc. This would be offer us the simplest setup which would flow nicely in the smart phone apps while giving website users the ability to filter and view based on the thread prefixes.

Keep in mind you can still use the Home/Portal Page or Last 50 Posts to view ALL discussions across all forums on one page regardless of what setup is chosen.

Please vote in the poll to let us know how you feel about this proposed change.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #2

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I would like a trip log in the personal profile, with privacy settings of course.

I voted

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #3

Somewhere on, Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I would like a trip log in the personal profile, with privacy settings of course.
Cool idea, what kind of fields/data would you want to log?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #4

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
The who, when, what flow, milage and where with a little highlights area maybe.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Long time visitor to Mt Buzz

Keep it like it is is my vote
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Please make the site useful to kayakers again

Everyone likes to talk/write about what they are interested in. For me that also applies to reading. I only want to read what I am interested in. That is kayaking. I have nothing against rafters. I would much rather read about trips others have taken that I want to take, read about gear that I actually know what it is because it is for a kayak and I really love the mantra here that LESS IS MORE. I stopped coming to the buzz because my 5 minute work break was spent reading about cooler and oar frames versus the latest huck fest on OBJ, requests for someone to show them down Pandora's box or speculation as to when the gate to the Big South will open. 4:59 seconds. Back to work.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #7

There is a lot of info that would be lost with split forums.
Access issues, flows, trees and other hazards.

What would be good is if the title of threads gave a clue as to topic.

And when people ask if Clear Creek is good to go at 300 cfs they would mention kayak or raft.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #8

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
How about a compromise: keep the boaters forum co-mingled, but offer separate kayak and raft gear talk forums. I understand that many only participate in kayaking or rafting, but there are also a lot of us that split our river time between the two, and enjoy reading/commenting on both.
Old 06-03-2013   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Access/Hazards should stay combined, obviously.

Why not set it up as an option in your profile, allowing you to select whether you'd rather view it as a combined forum or as separate kayaking and rafting forums? Then when people post, they could select what forum it should appear in.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I raft, I kayak, I don't care.
Keep it or split it, I'll still find relevant threads and usually check into the New Posts link.

It would make the most sense to split Gear Talk, fo sho.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote