View Poll Results: Should we have Rafting and Kayak specific forums?
Yes, Separate Kayaking and Rafting So It's Easier to Filter Discussions. 135 63.68%
No, Keep all the discussions in the Boater's Forum. 77 36.32%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013   #21

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Split it. Have a kayaking forum and a rafting forum, and an option to view both combined, that way, everyone could view the way they want. I would not make a general forum, as that is vague, will be redundant, and would add needless complexity. If you view both combined, you get the current site, if you view kayak, only posts in the kayak section will show up etc.

My observation is that many of the long time kayakers who put the buzz on the map don't use the buzz now, because its a full of raft chatter that they have no interest in, and they can't easily filter out.

BS to the comments about losing info. If you set it up so you can view all, that is eliminated. I'd say 80-90% of the time the posts will easily fit into either rafting or kayaking.

I'd love to see this change, and I've lobbied for it for years. My guess is that most of the kayakers would like to be able to see kayak only threads as well.

If it were my site... I would have only 4 forums... kayak, raft, gear swap, and trip planner....

Keep it simple, make a kayaking forum.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #22

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with Ian completely. Split it with a filter feature.

Not only the gear talk, but also the Trip Planner. Let's call out a few elephants in the room. Raise your hand if you are tired of seeing every other 3 threads "grand trip in June, what flows are good, what groover should we bring, and should I drain my Yeti cooler". Most of my frustration does come from a little jealousy, but please use the search feature before posting a repeat topic.

In reality kayakers are not looking to boat with rafters and rafters don't often call kayakers to tag a long either.

Don't split the forum completely though. We all have one thing in common.... We're boaters

Old 06-03-2013   #23

I agree with Ian, but make sure to include access and safety.
H2Obug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #24

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Would the rafter option put a raft photo on the top?

I don't really care, I contribute to both rafting a kayaking threads as I see appropriate. I almost exclusively read threads out of the new post, so if there was any change there I would not go hunting for a kayak specific or raft specific thread. I do agree that the conversations tend to be raft heavy, but rafters like to talk allot about the perfect cooler and frame.

Kayakers drink all the rafter beer and get stoned while the rafters are cooking dinner, the least they can do is sift through our cooler/frame talk.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #25

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I would like to see kayak specific threads. Split them so filtering the rafting threads out would be automatic.
Old 06-03-2013   #26
shindig

Fort Collins, Colorado
I like the trip log idea.
I also agree with the personal profile set up , where you choose how you want to view it... fab idea.
supersue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #27

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
raft-kayak specific forums

I do both 98%kayaking and 2%rafting, so I glean info from both types of posts. Having separate forums would work for me but I do enjoy both.
DonWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #28

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What Ian said. Split it but keep it viewable as combined.

I suspect the 800 pound gorilla is that we'll have a SUP forum addd as well. Be sure to include the option to "not bother showing" which ever genre one is disinterested in.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #29

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
Were all a team, this has been kicked around a while, glad its up for discussion again, its time. Be interesting to see the stats.
Old 06-04-2013   #30

Cheyenne, Wyoming
So if I was going drain my yeti cooler...can i drain it into the river, or is that illegal?

weremichael is offline   Reply With Quote