Old 04-09-2014   #1

Forum Mobile App change - coming soon-ish

Some of you may begin seeing a slidedown notice for an update to our mobile app when you are browsing the site using a mobile device.. In the next few days or so we are going to be changing our app.

We're making this change because we're just not satisfied with the current app; lots of folks have had trouble and we believe this will be an improvement.

The new app is based on the Tapatalk platform, although it's not the generic Tapatalk app. It is FREE for members and customized for the forum. While no mobile app is perfect we hope this will be an improvement and hope that you will bear with us as the kinks are worked out.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Cool. Will it have swap and flows?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Can we upgrade to allow replys via email to PMs?

I find PMs really cumbersome.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 04-10-2014   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
So the change happened. No more avatar? No more current, subscribe or message bar?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #5

Boulder, Colorado
missing the current for sure. Not an obvious improvement, but quite the opposite without that feature.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 04-11-2014   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Sometimes I get an avatar picture but mostly don't. I also miss not seeing how many posts a person has sent.

Old 04-11-2014   #7

Somewhere on, Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Can we upgrade to allow replys via email to PMs?

I find PMs really cumbersome.
I agree but unfortunately there are some technical issues that would make that quite difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible but not something we can afford to implement at this time. One of the primary issues is that the software running this site, vBulletin, is going no where. They were acquired by a company who mismanaged them and it's essentially a dead product. There is a new leader in the forum software spaced called XenForo and everything has been thought through to refine forum software making almost everything easier. For example, you should be able to attach images to PMs, have group PMs without having to retype everyone's username each time, etc. It's called XenForo and our plan is to switch to that platform within the next couple of years. When that happens, then we can asses requests like this because developing that would be expensive, especially for a platform we are going to switch away from soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
So the change happened. No more avatar? No more current, subscribe or message bar?
Current is now called Timeline. Subscribed is now called Subscribed and there is a new option called Participated if you want to find a discussion you have posted to which you are not subscribed to. You can see these links from the left slide out navigation section (see attachment below).

I'm seeing Avatars on my iPhone. Are you using the latest version? Are you on Android or iOS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-04-11 10.34.01.png
Views:	153
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	8099  
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #8

Bozeman, Montana
I am IOS and the avatars are beginning to pop up. Some places they all appear and some places none. I am sure it will work out.

Old 04-11-2014   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Trying this newfangled thingy out. I see avatars using android.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
OK, just made my first mobile post using my smarter-than-me phone. Disclaimer - since I only just switched over from a Dumbberry I never had the old app and so I have no real reference point for how the new app compares to the old.

I hit the "Forum" button in the upper left and found the "settings" gears button that appears. Lots of options there to play with. I don't really use the forums but always just check the "New Posts" button. I found the "Timeline" and would like to make that my default setting for loading - is this possible? Or do I have to suffer through pressing two buttons to get there...?

Running the app side by side with my PC, I notice that avatars seem to be showing up for folks that have them (duh...).

Cool.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote