Old 02-12-2013   #41

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Good post, Evan. Glad that's cleared up with the apology, floater man.

I am curious though, who actually does own the buzz? What is the structure of management/ownership/moderators etc? If there an easy place to view all of this? I don't see an "about" link anywhere on the site, but maybe I'm just being lazy and not looking hard enough.

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #42

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Completely 100% out of the loop here, but... if physical threats were deleted, first of all, I can understand them being deleted, and secondly, they can still be subpoenaed if it comes to that (and probably retrieved if legally required). So the less people see such posts the better, since it can escalate to way-too-serious for Buzz. Anyway, not pointing fingers whatsoever, since I truly am out of the loop, and am only going of this thread.

I've learned the hard way not to take arguments or more serious disagreements with strangers to forums in general. Too many internet-tough-guys to keep it civil (I'm guilty of the former at one time or another). Manners kind of go out the window, when the possibility of any physical retaliation is gone. Not saying that the fear is real, but most of our basic instincts are different, in-person; so we big-mouths know when to stop.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #43
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spiegel View Post
I am curious though, who actually does own the buzz? .

Who owns the BUZZ
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #44

Somewhere on, Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spiegel View Post
I am curious though, who actually does own the buzz? What is the structure of management/ownership/moderators etc?
I acquired Mountain Buzz from Frenchy 6 years 11 months ago. For the most part the site has stayed the same. We get these heated debates every so often about moderation and "censorship" when someone pushes too far and we have to step in and do some house cleaning. They are almost always in the winter when people are sick of being indoors and anxious to get back on the water.

As I mentioned previously in this discussion, we do have some rules and they are very reasonable. PLEASE READ THEM, HERE IS THE LINK:
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules

In the thread that started this all, I want everyone to know that we simply deleted about a dozen posts which were nasty insults (and responses to them) which were not inline with the type of respectful community we are trying to foster. AFAIK, no select editing took place.

As for claims of censorship, I think it's important for everyone to understand exactly what censorship is. No private citizen is capable of "censoring" anybody. A forum who rejects somebody's post is fully within their free-speech rights to manage their community however they like, including the rejection of submitted content.

Censorship happens when a person is denied the ability to self-publish. Posting to someone else's forum is not self-publishing, the same thing as submitting a letter to the editor of a newspaper is not self-publishing. If a newspaper declines to publish some letter to the editor, that isn't "censorship." It's the editor's right. The person who wrote that letter has the ability to publish it by other means, first and foremost by starting their own newspaper.

It's the same thing online. A person isn't "censored" online unless they are denied the ability to put up their *own* site, blog, forum, whatever... and no private citizen can stop another from doing that. Everybody in the U.S. has the right to freedom of speech, but that right doesn't go to the extent of forcing a website to carry on their servers everyone's opinions no matter how crass, rude or distasteful they are.

We intentionally have a very balanced team who provide perspectives inline with many of our members. This was done intentionally because we want to be able to bounce ideas off each other on how to handle these situations. If it was our intent to sterilize the Buzz then that would have been done a long time ago.

Look, nothing in life is perfect and getting a bunch of people with strong, and sometimes opposing, opinions to agree on how to manage an online community probably has the same chance of success as getting the fuckers in Washington to sing kumbaya and work together. I understand we have members who would like no rules but keep in mind the majority of our members don't even need to read our rules because they would never break them.

It's kind of like a bar. If you have a few patron who come in and start a scuffle, most places are going to ask you to take it outside. If you constantly get a client who comes in with the intent of starting fights and causing commotion which in turns creates an ambiance the other patrons don't like at some point you gotta tell that guy he's no longer welcome.

It's hard to manage a site like this and as I stated earlier we're not perfect. We do try to do our best but unfortunately that won't be good enough for everyone all the time.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #45

The next zone, .
Good post Evan everything you said was spot on. It seems the last few times I log on the main post is hijacked - in a negative way. Good luck on your trip as it is a worthy cause.

Not sure what got deleted and all apologies aside there are some obvious trolls out there. Moderators do a good job but from what I see around here Wrangler was not the problem.. Some folks are just out to cause trouble.

If I dont have anything positive to contribute to the "what type of meals should a heavily armed monkey with only one groover pack in order to row a 13' saturn down the grand" I dont post.

With that said - I want to thank the Buzz as I got a good laugh out of several of the replies.

Yea with all the bickerin around here it must be mid February in a low snow year ..
Old 02-12-2013   #46

NA
Send a message via MSN to Timmy
Here is the picture of Pete and Lief's Mom that got removed. I apologize if this is offensive to Lief or his Mom.

It puts a tear in my eye to see all the tender comments people are making.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #47

I win!
Old 02-13-2013   #48

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Since Idahofloater was good enough to apologize,I apologize to him.Sorry Idaho.I don 't take back my criticism of that archetype but for lumping you in with them based on very little information.

wan 't something ' about a "sewer pickle " selectively edited from one of Rob's posts
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #49
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My only feedback on the subject is I'd rather see the mountainbuzz people put less time into censoring posts and use that time to improve the photos feature. One consistent piece of feedback from almost everybody here is how poor the current photo feature is, yet there appears to be no interest or intent by the owners in upgrading it.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #50

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
My only feedback on the subject is I'd rather see the mountainbuzz people put less time into censoring posts and use that time to improve the photos feature. One consistent piece of feedback from almost everybody here is how poor the current photo feature is, yet there appears to be no interest or intent by the owners in upgrading it.
Amen already! This is ridiculous and I know my time on mtnbuzz has been drastically reduced ever since the photos went to shit.
Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote