Old 08-03-2015   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Mountainbuzz Site Improvement Idea

What if we were able to up/down vote threads? Location on the main page would be some combination of recent activity and relevance to the community.

The rationale is simple, the threads that are more relevant to a larger portion of the users would get more up-votes and thus stay on the main page longer despite not being quite as active. A very democratic solution to some of the content issues this site has.

An Example, the Poudre Gnarrows race thread has great content (IMHO) and the race still hasn't happened, but the thread is buried on the main page by 12 rafting gear threads. And no, I don't want to filter out all rafting gear threads because I am a rafter and some are relevant. I would simply like to have one meager up-vote on some and one meager down-vote on others to slightly influence what conversations stick around and which quickly vanish from the main page.

Worth a try? Feasible?

Old 08-03-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I have no idea if it's feasible from a back-end perspective, but it wouldn't be helpful from my perspective, since it's not helpful to the way I tend to use the site. I tend to look through recent posts, and if a thread interests me and it has new posts, I click on it. If it doesn't meet either of those two criteria, I don't. So having a "popular" thread with no new posts on the top of the list due to reddit-style upvotes doesn't do much for me from a user perspective. I'm not sure how others use the site though.

craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Pretty sure this was discussed at some point, but don't think anything came of it. Personally, I would really be in favor of a like (maybe even dislike) button on each post...

On a side note, I am going to move this from the Eddy to support & feedback.
Old 08-03-2015   #4

Boulder, Colorado
To be clear, I am not advocating that a post is at the top of the list or stay around forever because of upvotes. I think the main page should optimize to be recent and relevant (currently it is just recent).

Craven, I think you would be trusting crowd sourcing to see what recent posts are good/relevant/interesting/fun so that there are more interesting topics on the front page.

I seem to run into the problem where there are not more that 1 - 2 good/relevant/interesting/fun threads on the main page and I know others get this too.
Old 08-03-2015   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Maybe this idea could be used to mitigate useless drivel from an otherwise decent thread.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #6
addict

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Maybe you guys have too much free time to care about this shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #7

Paddling Since: 1994
I see what you are saying but why not just give a thread a bump if you want to keep it alive. Sort of the same idea right?
Old 08-03-2015   #8

Salida, Colorado
This already happens. The views vs. replies ratio reveals the overall interest in a thread (you may have to do your own math though...). A good thread continues and a lame thread dies off. There is no need to "vote" or "like" it for this purpose.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
How about an IK forum?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
This already happens. The views vs. replies ratio reveals the overall interest in a thread (you may have to do your own math though...). A good thread continues and a lame thread dies off. There is no need to "vote" or "like" it for this purpose.
I wasn't necessarily referring to a system that keeps interesting threads "bumped"... Just that I see a comment once in a while that makes me think, hell yeah someone got shit figured out....and I would like to give those posts a thumbs up rather than having to quote and reply simply saying I agree...