Old 08-26-2008   #1
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Is Censorship Rampant on Mountain Buzz?

Apparently any title that contains "Yeti" in the title now is automatically deleted. I saw 3 threads deleted. The latter 2 threads didn't even contain anything incendiary, but merely questioned the removal of the original Yeti bashing thread. For that matter, I'm not sure what was wrong with the original thread. Hell, I don't know Yeti, maybe he's a good guy, but he bashes everybody for putting up Big South pictures, when everybody's all pumped up for the gate opening, and then he replaces it with some picture of a creek with no boater in it. What's the reaction supposed to be? This isn't even an internet out of control behavior thing. This is the exact same kind of social interaction you see in groups all the time. If I get a behavioral scientist to sanction the social behavior as normative, can I get a thread going that won't be deleted?

I wouldn't have even been aware of this censorship had I not started one of the threads and happened to notice the second one in its brief life. I wonder how many other people have been having similar experiences?

I think my current plan is to keep posting this message over and over again until either it doesn't get censored or I get removed from mountainbuzz. Seems like a win win proposition.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The only time I've been censored was when I posted a photo of a trannie inflatable love doll. At the time, the photo struck me as wildly funny, but I came to realize that it was inappropriate.

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I raised the question of why was the "bout lost my life" thread locked when there really was no reason, and the objection was agreed to by many others, and it was pretty quickly unlocked which I was impressed by. --but if there is some sort of post suppression going on I'd be very interested to know what is being suppressed and why.

There are a ton of other forums out there that are controlled and censored beyond belief. Mountainbuzz.com is different exactly because of the lack of that type of heavy handed restraint.

The 'buzz is nothing more than the community that contributes to the forums--if that community leaves because of heavy handed censorship, suppression, etc. then while mountainbuzz.com might continue, "the 'buzz" would cease to exist, which would suck if you ask me...
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #4

Down by the River, Colorado
hmmn, interesting point the KSC. Where did that thread go??? The main point of that thread was hey lets send Petey off on a good note and let people berate Yeti for being retarded on another.

Answer - You better fuckin believe the new buzz board is censoring the forum way more than frenchy ever did and its frickin lame. My guess is GH is behind almost all of this as from his post count we can all see he watches the buzz every second of every day and trys to make sure no ones feathers are ruffled. Hell he's even given "infraction" points to people for being to offensive. How lame is that?

Does anyone remember the days of Chunder Boy talk about shit talking and ruffling feathers and in most peoples opinion those were the best days of the buzz. In those days frenchy hardly policed the buzz at all and if he did say something it was usually some post like "hey guys this is out of line, blah, blah, blah.." and that was all it took but he didn't delete posts or do any of the the bullshit that goes on today.
Old 08-26-2008   #5

Leadvillian, Colorado
the admin are not infalliable

perhaps you would be better contacting them directly
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'll fess up to deleting your post. I rarely get involved on the back end, but...

It is policy not to allow threads that blatantly attack another member, regardless of ones opinion of said member.

I also thought it would be outright funny to delete yours right after the original got deleted. I guess most people never saw it and thus missed out on my weak sense of humor.

Many apologies if any feathers have been ruffled.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #7
sj

Durango Steve is my new hero. Dave Frank and gh in a cage fight to settle who'se the lamest admin Andy H will officiate. Sheesh how serious do you get in the real world. The virtual twistation of the nickers makes me wonder. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #8

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
It is policy not to allow threads that blatantly attack another member, regardless of ones opinion of said member.
Just curious......who's policy? Why can't said member stick up for themselves? Do the admins really want to have to look out for and/or protect every member?

Sometimes it can get nasty on here....but I'd say 95% of threads are just people shit-talkin' and having fun. There is the occassional thread that gets out of hand.....but I don't think the admins need to protect people from a little bit of razzin'.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #9

conifer, Colorado
Just wait till 'Rock O'bottom is in charge. He wants to reinstate "The Fairness Doctrine" in order to put out of business market driven talk show hosts. This brings up another issue talking about censorship-why can't any left wing talk show hosts survive?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #10
sj

Mr Comp. It's becuse lefties like to think and ponder and come to their own conclusions. Righties like to be told what to think. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote